Questions about my puffer tank/water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LIBuckeye

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everybody,
I have a 20 L tank with a lone male dwarf puffer (was two, the other one died in September), and several plants. I also keep a 5 gallon snail farm.

I usually change the water every week (20% for the puffer tank, 50% for the snail farm). Today I tested the water for nitrates right BEFORE I did the water change: the puffer tank was 5-10 ppm, the snail tank was at least 40. I did the snail tank's water change but held off on doing a water change for the main tank because I wanted to make sure that I'm not actually depleting the plants of nutrients. I have an algae problem in my 20 gal, and the only plants I can get to grow well are java ferns. Every other plants is either turning brown or is getting covered in algae. I have been considering getting a school of ottos to help with algae. I know puffers can be aggressive, so I "experimented" by getting some grass shrimp. I put some in with the puffer right when he normally would be fed, and he didn't go near them. I found one of them dead a week later, but it didn't appear to have been eaten at all. I put some in with the snails and most of them died too, I guess I should start changing that tank's water more often.

So my main question is if I need to hold off on water changes for the 20 L (switch to 20% bi-weekly maybe?) so that the nitrates will go up a bit more for the plants? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom