Questions about parameters/fish health/homemade lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 28 gallon bowfront that has 50/50 RODI/tap. I add minerals back in. This tank has been this way for a few months. Tank and filters have been established for over almost a year.

I haven't tested the kh/gh yet today but the kh is usually 3 and I can't remember the gh at the moment but will test those.

The temp is 79
Ammonia/Nitrites 0
Nitrates look to be pushing 30.

My lights were terrible so my husband made a new LED light strip for it. Turns out he BLASTED the tank with light and I was waiting for him to put the lower lights on (finish the controller etc). Anyway while the tank was blasted it has developed a wicked green and brown algae problem.

I am picking up the water changes to keep the nitrates low and my old weak lights are back on.

Now one fish has A white spot at the center of each eye.

Questions are:
1) does the green algae raise nitrates?
2) my 75 gallon has had brown algae issues for a LONG TIME now. What do you recommend for phophate tests/control? I looked a while back and couldn't find it.

3) do I need to treat this tank or is it ok to just watch and wait? (with more frequent water changes).

Thanks
Jana

Depending on how your tank is stocked, pushing 30ppm on Nitrate is a good time for PWC. I try to get mine under 30 but I have it WELL stocked. Brown algae is ugly, but to the best of my knowledge it not in any way harmful. Turn down the lights (or fewer hours on during the day) until it dies off. Green Algae I believe (someone please correct me if needed) will actually use Nitrates, not produce them but less light will resolved this issue as well. OR just get 3-4 Nerite Snails and all your algae problems will be solved! ;) I added LED lights and green algae exploded in my tank, 6 Nerites and its no longer a problem haha

Questions are:
1) does the green algae raise nitrates?
2) my 75 gallon has had brown algae issues for a LONG TIME now. What do you recommend for phophate tests/control? I looked a while back and couldn't find it.

3) do I need to treat this tank or is it ok to just watch and wait? (with more frequent water changes).

Thanks
Jana
1. Algae is a plant form and it will use nitrates, but you have to have a lot of algae for this to happen.

2. Phosphate Test Kit - API. Otos will consume brown algae, as will many kinds of snails. The Siamese algae eater will eat too, but not on the glass (at least not mine).

3. Keep the nitrates below 20 ppm, 10 ppm is better and see if the eye issue goes away. The absolute best thing you can do for your fish is water changes, and lots of them.

David

Well if you got a juvenile pleco it might eat the algae an then you could transfer the pleco to your 75, not sure about stickin though.

Don't know about the white spot in the eye. To me a 30ppm nitrate level, especially for a short period of time, is not a concern and not something that I think would cause your fish any long term harm. Get an API phosphate test kit. you can remove phosphates with phosphate filter pads, chemi-pure elite, API phos zorb, seachem phosguard, or a number of other products. Look with the saltwater products.

Well if you got a juvenile pleco it might eat the algae an then you could transfer the pleco to your 75, not sure about stickin though.

IMO, plecos generate more ammonia than the amount of algae they actually remove. Their ammonia will convert to nitrate and thus feed the algae growth faster than algae they actually consume from the tank. It might not even eat any algae if its well fed. Not really good for trying to keep a small tank clean.

Back
Top Bottom