Questions about treating for ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
I remove the carbon from my filter correct? Does it need to stay wet? And also I dose with flourish for my plants, do I need to stop that till I'm done treating the ich?

Thanks in advance!!

Yes remove carbon from your filter, it will remove the medication.

You don't have to keep it wet, I wouldn't even put it back in because it removes meds, trace elements, etc.

However you may want to put it back in when your done treating to get the meds out. And then remove it after 2-3 days

Okay, its in a QT, but my question now is if the infected fish is out of the tank, I don't need to treat the DT, correct? Cause I have RCS and the medicine will hurt them.

The way I treated it was I raised the temp between to 86-88 degrees and left like that for about an extra week the ich was gone just to make sure I got all of the parasites. Please raise the temp slowly as it will stress the fish.

Me personally, i would of left the fish there and treated the whole tank just in case others get it in the future.

Well, none of the other fish show any signs is the thing, and also here's my delima, the infected is an angel, and its pretty mean, and doesnt get along at all with everyone else, so I had already planned on taking it back.. so now should I just raise the temp? For a week or so? There's an albino rainbow shark, a shortfin BN pleco, and 20 RCS. Will the temp really hurt any of them?

I used this medication that works really well, ill have to go look at the name but my fish were almost all white and now they are fine.

Do a big water change once the treatment is over, unless you see the fish are stresed then you can do like a 25% water change

Well I can't medicate my DT, I have RCS and it'll hurt invertabrates, if I just raise the temp alone for a while will that be enough, nothing else show any signs of it. And the infected one is probably gonna go back due to behavoral issues.

Here's a great sticky from the Unhealthy Fish section of the site-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/29/1/Freshwater-Ich-Yuck-/Page1.html

I'm fortunate enough to not to have had to deal with ich for a long time...but using the heat and salt method would be my first choice. The ich meds can have a devastating effect on your bio-filter, and are also only effective during a short phase of the parasites life-cycle. The article can explain it much better than I can. Good luck.

Don't get me wrong, the heat and salt method works fine. It worked on three of my fish that unfortunately died a few days after. They looked perfectly healthy but still died. Waiting to see how the others do.

Back
Top Bottom