Questions for Hatchetfish owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
A month or so ago, I solicited opinions on stocking options for the middle/top levels of my 29 gallon tank. Hatchets were suggested by several people. My initial impression of them at the LFS wasn't all that great, but I've warmed up to them recently and think that 5-6 Common/Silver Hatchets (Gasteropelecus sternicla) would fill a niche in my aquarium. I'm currently stocked with 8 Cardinal Tetras, 8 Rummynoses, 4 Sterbai Corys, and 2 Assassin Snails. I had hoped that my Cardinals would spend a lot more time in the middle of the tank, but that hasn't been the case. With the lower half of my tank constantly occupied, I'd really like a species that sticks to the upper third. My water parameters (3 dGH, pH 7.3-7.4, 77 deg F, some "dinge" from peat moss pellets and bog wood) should support hatchets.

However, I do have some concerns...

(1) The jumping. My understanding is that they do this when stressed. How do you keep them from leaping out of the tank during water changes? I imagine that I'd have to leave the lid on, though that may make algae removal difficult in some places. Also, I have a HOB filter and there is about a 1 cm gap between the tank lid and the stream of water that exits my filter. Would they try to exploit this? (They're certainly skinny enough to pull it off.)

(2) Floating plants. I've read in a few places that they're strongly recommended, and almost mandatory. Will hatchets be OK without them? My lighting is a standard 17 watt T8 bulb. Not terribly bright by most standards, but perhaps more so by hatchet standards.

(3) Feeding. From what I've read, it seems like they prefer (need?) twice-a-day feeding. Is that the case, or will they do well if only fed once per day?

Thanks in advance.

Besides Hatchets,

Look into Celebes halfbeaks, I don't think they'd eat your cardinals even full grown. & they almost always hang at the top of the tank.

I really like clown killies too, they hang at the top as well & are pretty cool looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Halfbeaks are some funky-looking fish!

Clown killies may be an interesting project. Sounds like my water conditions would work for them.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I had some and didn't loose any with no floating plants. Ime they didn't jump out during a wc.

I have, and they're nice fish. But I've also heard that they jump more and are more fussy about water conditions. Plus, I think that the Silvers will contrast better with my tank's dark background.

Back
Top Bottom