Questions for traveling fish?!?! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Posted this in another forum, and then stumbled on this huge forum and just wanted some more opinions.

Okay, so this is the thing. I'm at college and I go home on the 22nd of December. I have a 5 gallon Hex Eclipse tank, and I need to transport it home. I was thinking of emptying about half the water so its half full, and just put the cover on. I cut a small piece of plywood and am going to set the tank on it while I carry it so that the bottom doesn't tweak out.
But this is the thing.

If I don't keep my biowheel and filter media wet, will the bacteria die? If so, could i take the biowheel and filter and put them in the emptyied fish water that I took out of the tank?

Next thing, I don't want my fish to freak out in the tank. I read somewhere that using clove oil is a safe sedative for fish. Should I put this in my tank. How much should I put in? How long will it last, its a 3 hour car ride?

Last question, which is separate from the above topic. I have a 10 gallon fish tank in my dorm room cycling (and i believe it's done, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates, almost 0 ammonia). Anyways, I'll be gone from December 22 to January 11. There is no fish in the tank, should I just leave the filter running. Will it be cycled and ready when I come back then?

Thanks again.

Welcome to AA!!!

I would empty the tank just about all the way. Just keep the gravel covered. Keep the media wet and you have at least 24 hours before you have any die off.

Do not use the clove oil just keep the fish in a covered bucket and they should be just fine.

Put a bunch of flakes or a raw shrimp in the ten gallon. It may regress some but the flakes or shrimp should keep it going for a while.

Good Luck.

Welcome to AA! Rich is right, don't use the clove oil.

Keep the filter media wet with old tank water for sure. For moving a 5 gal tank removing 50% of the water and keeping the fish in the tank should be fine. What kind of fish do you have in the tank? Is it a glass or acrylic tank?

For the 10 gal cycling I'd use the shrimp like Rich said, should keep the tank cycle going.

I have those big cubes of Hikari Brine Shimp, and also tetra flakes, which do you recommend to put in and how much?

Also, I am worried that the water level will be too low for the filter by the time I return, I don't have a hood for the tank yet, but was thinking about covering it with some plastic, so much water doesn't escape, what do you think?

Guys, i have to leave tomorrow morning, please help me soon.

Throw 3 or 4 cubes in. That should be more than enough. The plastic sounds like a good idea. leave a small opening so air can get in.

Back
Top Bottom