Questions from a beginner about a 2.5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StillRunning

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

Wasn't really sure which forum to put this in since I have a few different questions, so General seemed best.

I recently got a 2.5 gallon National Geographic Betta Oasis as a gift. I set it up a few weeks ago with some gravel and a few plants and put the fish in, but wasn't really satisfied with how it looked, so I've since re-decorated it a few times and added some more plants so that it now has two Java Ferns and two Anubias in it.

I'm pretty new to this hobby, so each time I 'rescaped' it, I completely removed the gravel substrate and rinsed it and cleaned everything in the tank because I figured cleaner is better. I've since done some research into maintaining it and I realize now I probably shouldn't have done this, but I had no idea about cycling or anything like that. I also only realized just this past week I had set the filter up wrong (don't ask how this happened) and that for all intents and purposes the tank hasn't been filtered, just circulated.

Somehow I've managed to not kill my Betta, but I'm wondering what steps I need to take now to cycle the tank? I foolishly rewashed the gravel substrate this past Friday and completely changed the water, so I assume I'm starting from scratch here? The filter has been correctly installed for about a week now, and I've used water conditioner each time I've changed everything.

I've read all sorts of stuff about 2.5 gallons being impossible to cycle or that they aren't suitable for keeping anything in, but I have it now, so I figure I need to try to maintain it as best I can. I'm a student and my living arrangements are impermanent so buying another larger tank isn't really an option right now, much as I'd like to.

I've been doing some research into dwarf shrimp and I'd like to add a few cherry red to the tank just to liven it up a little bit. How long should I wait before adding them? I was thinking I would put 4 or 5 in along with some java moss.

I already have a ghost shrimp in with the Betta who seem to be doing alright despite my missteps, the only issue is the Betta doesn't really let any food get to the bottom for him to scavenge. I've been trying to drop little pieces of algae wafers in for the shrimp to eat, but the Betta just dives down and runs him off and then eats them himself and then bloats up and craps everywhere and I have to fast him until he gets back to normal. It's a little frustrating. Is there anything else I can offer the shrimp that the betta wouldn't go after? I'm not sure there's anything in the tank for him to scavenge as it is.

Basically just looking for advice as to how best run this tank and keep everything in it healthy. Thanks for reading this far!

Cherry shrimp won't work with a beta. Most Beta's will terrorize the shrimp. Also ghost shrimp have a tendency to attack neocarndia shrimp (Cherries are neos)

A Amano (sp?)shrimp would be cool they get much bigger then cherries.

My suggestion would be either
1. Beta by himself
2. Or a cherry shrimp tank.

Personally the cherries are cooler then a beta IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The betta should only be housed by himself.. Or you can put some neon or glow light tetra in there.. but only like 2 or 3.. I have 3 neons in both of my 2.5 gallon top fin betta tanks..

Also it takes minimum 3-4 weeks for a tank to cycle.. and cycle meaning poop and food and even from the fish breathing (BTW betta breathe from the surface so don't overfill your tank and cover it with the top so he cant breathe).. turns into ammonia.. basically its like pouring acid on your face. Then bacteria turn that into nitrite.. basically the same as ammonia and then nitrates and your safe with nitrates as long as you do water changes every 1-2 weeks.

As for your betta.. they are hardy fish.. but ammonia will kill him easily.. and it wont be pretty.. ive seen betta that lost their eyes.. and they bloated and just all kinds of nasty stuff happen to them from ammonia poisoning ...

NEVER wash your gravel or filters using sink water ever lol.. You just restart the cycle doing that.. For now I recommend going back to petsmart getting a bottle of PRIME its a red/white bottle to remove chlorine from the water and it also detoxes ammonia.. I also recommend you get an API master test kit and use it... Or at the very least test strips which are better then nothing.. but the master kit is a better value and more accurate..

Once the ammonia starts which will be in 2 days or so.. With a small tank that size.. you need to start doing like 70-80% water changes USING PRIME to remove the toxic ammonia... and you need to do this EVERY day for 3-4 weeks until your tank is cycled..

You could have avoided this by not getting your fish immediately,, but most new people do as you did and buy the tank rocks ect.. and toss a fish in and wonder why they die horrible deaths.

Anyway its no problem just do the things I said and your betta will be fine.. If you don't do water changes I garunte.. your betta will die a horribly painful slow death

Maybe do a fish less cycle and give the betta to someone who can take care of it until the tank is cycled? Just an idea...

My sister has a one gallon with a betta and a snail, and they seem fine. It has been living for almost 6 months together, and the worst thing that has happened was no cleaning out the tank for a month and forgetting to add dechlorinator. It should be fine.

I would just do alot of partial water changes to keep the ammonia down and he should be ok

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 28L (8gal?) with a betta and some shrimp, the betta doesn't bother them whatsoever.
A lot of people keep shrimp with betta so it is doable, obviously it depends on each betta but if thats what you want then give it a go
I've kept my betta with various different tank mates before all without problems maybe I just have a super relaxed betta ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally I wouldn't do less than a 5g for a Betta. The bigger the tank the more active they are. That's just me though. It's easier to "cycle" and less frequent water changes because of more water. If it is a 5g cube it's hardly more surface area than your 2.5... Because by the time you get everything in the 2.5 for him there's not going to be 2.5 gallons of water. Probably like 1.5-2 gallons. That's just too little for me. I keep my 2 bettas in a 10g with a divider and plant wall so they don't see each other.

5g gives you more flexibility and space to design the tank how you want. There's been a lot of nano tank builds on here lately. Great inspiration.

ADF can be tricky to feed(bad eyesight) but mine has NEVER bothered my Betta. They don't really notice each other. One thing I've found is I think he ate my ghost shrimp lol. An Amano shrimp might be too big for him though.

My Betta never bothered the ghost shrimp either. Don't think he could see them well.

Just my 2¢. Hope all goes well for you.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Personally I wouldn't do less than a 5g for a Betta. The bigger the tank the more active they are. That's just me though. It's easier to "cycle" and less frequent water changes because of more water. If it is a 5g cube it's hardly more surface area than your 2.5... Because by the time you get everything in the 2.5 for him there's not going to be 2.5 gallons of water. Probably like 1.5-2 gallons. That's just too little for me. I keep my 2 bettas in a 10g with a divider and plant wall so they don't see each other.

5g gives you more flexibility and space to design the tank how you want. There's been a lot of nano tank builds on here lately. Great inspiration.

ADF can be tricky to feed(bad eyesight) but mine has NEVER bothered my Betta. They don't really notice each other. One thing I've found is I think he ate my ghost shrimp lol. An Amano shrimp might be too big for him though.

My Betta never bothered the ghost shrimp either. Don't think he could see them well.

Just my 2¢. Hope all goes well for you.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Agreed on the tank size, was just commenting on the compatibility
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bettas are hardy and what they can live with depends on their individual personalties. I have a male in a 5g with a small group of green rasboras and red rili shrimp; he doesn't bother either. I still see shrimp fry occasionally although I'm sure there would be more without the betta :whistle:

My last betta was in a 2.5g with no filter or heater. I did a lot of work to make sure water quality was excellent. He lived for almost 5 years :)

Bettas are hardy and what they can live with depends on their individual personalties. I have a male in a 5g with a small group of green rasboras and red rili shrimp; he doesn't bother either. I still see shrimp fry occasionally although I'm sure there would be more without the betta :whistle:

My last betta was in a 2.5g with no filter or heater. I did a lot of work to make sure water quality was excellent. He lived for almost 5 years :)

While they can live like that they do prefer temperatures upwards of 80 degrees. They don't produce much waste so if he was alone I can see getting by with just like an air pump for surface agitation.

So many variables with bettas. I think they look cramped in a 2.5g though.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom