Questions on adding wood to a tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
There is a piece of firewood that has been sitting in my backyard for quite a while, and every time I look at it I want to put it in my fishtank.

I live in Michigan so the weather has been washing it now for quite a while. I am going to put it in water to soak it after breaking it into smaller pieces. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to treat the wood, and also if there are any other things I should look for on this piece of lumber??

THANKS

I've done a bit of research on this subject as I just put some wood in my tank. Avoid softwoods or woods with a lot of sap (Pines, Willow, Maple, Cedar); hardwoods are best (Cherry, Apple, Oak). Make sure it doesn't have bark or rotting pieces. Most reccomend boiling it for a few hours if you can because the hot water will release the tannins more quickly and will also help clean the wood. If the piece is too large, you can just soak it in dechlorinated water. (Some recommend adding salt to the water while it soaks.) I did this with mine for about 2-3 weeks. While my piece became water logged in that time and isn't floating anymore, it is still producing tannins. However, I've read that Seachem Purigen and carbon can both help filter tannins out of your tank.

If it's softwood, don't put it in the tank. If it's hardwood, run it through a cycle in the dishwasher without soap.

Back
Top Bottom