Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

questions on assasin snails

I've read they burrow under sand.. is this not what trumpeter snails do also?
I was wondering, because since letting my plant cargo snails just do their thing, I have ramshorns, pondsnails, and some others, along with some trumpeters I added to sift sand. If I added like, 5 assasin snails (this is a 10 gal) would that be too many? And would they sift my sandbed in place of the trumpeters?
On a side note, my sandbed is less than an inch, and an inch at most, just in a corner, so they wouldn't need to sift much.
Also, what happens when I'm out of snails to feed them? They won't eat each other?
Thanks for any info, I just think there more appealing than what I'm currently infested with haha

Old 08-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think you'll need 5 assassins for a 10 gallon. I'd just add a couple. They'll eat ramshorn, pond, and MTS snails and since your tank is small it won't take them long. They do burrow under the sand, but a sandbed that is an inch or less won't require sifting regardless. When they run out of snails to eat, they scavenge.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, well thanks for the info
Old 08-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Assassin snails will eat mts, but they aren't likely to get all of those. I had dozens of them in a 10 for several months, and after they were all moved out the mts slowly reappeared.

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com