Questions on Stocking and Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LesPaulPlayer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so my uncle gave me a 29 gallon and a stand, both of which have been out of use for some time. I want to turn it into a low-med light Planted tank.

Here is the stocking as I See it right now
- 8 rummy nose tetras
- 1 pearl gourami
- 1 Albino Bn (if/when algae shows up)
How's that?

I really like Gourami's and would like one to be my center piece fish, I'm just worried that a 4 inch gourami might be too large for a 29 gallon... Is it? and are there any other types that are larger than 2 inches(I don't want the center piece fish to be the same size as the tetras) and smaller than 4?

and as far as cycling goes would it be better to do a fishless or a regular cycle? And if fishless where would you get ammonia from?

I guess that's it, Thanks in Advance

Edit: Does Java moss attach itself to gravel or only wood and rocks?

That seems like a perfect stocking for your 29 Gallon, if you wanted you could still add more tetras, a big school are always cool. You could look into 2 dwarf gouramis. They stay around 3-4in I think. They have very cool colors aswell.

If I were you I would go with the fishless cycle, but honestly I don't know where to get ammonia since I have never used it in my cycling.

Welcome to the site

I agree with FishCrazy that i would go with the fishless cycling. And that i too have never put pure ammonia in my tank while it was cycling. I always just put alittle bit of fish food in the tank while it is cycling though.

I also agree that you could have more fish and possibly 2 gouramis. I barely have any experience with gouramis. But research tells me that you shouldnt keep 2 males in that amount of space. So i would atleast make sure that i have atleast 1 female if you decide to go with 2 gouramis. Here let me put it simple. Herees what i would do:

1st - cycling (fishless)

2nd - Fish (dont put them all in at once. I would go for a school of fish at a tim or your to gouramis at the same time. And the pleco could be added in ith any other fish your choice).

3rd - just the basics. remember to check your water parameters every now and then. And keep up with your PWCs (partial water changes)

If i had an available 29 gallon heres how i would stock it :

-2 Gouramis
- a nice school of tetra
- a BN pleco
- a nice school of tetra cories or ottos

If you want anoter large school of fish then i would go with ottos you could add 8 of them easily. Or cories you could have 4 or 5. Or tetra about 8 or so. Or you could just add to your current tetra school.

Hope this helps.

that's good
Does anyone have any experience with hagen aquaclears HOB's?
are they quiet enough to keep in your bedroom?

I have 5 fish tanks in my bedroom, 2 of them have sponge filters, but the other 3 have HOB filters and I use Whisper HOB powerfilters, they are very quiet filters and are very good aswell. They just came out with a brand new filter, newest one to the market.

Here is a link, check them out and see if you like them, I sure do, they also have tons of sweet new features, read up on them aswell and learn all of them.

EX30 Whisper Filter - up to 30 gallon | Power Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Just read all the info and specs. they have under the product, it's a very slick and quiet filter.

I have 2 HOB filters on my 2 tanks. So yes i have experiennce with HOB filters. And yes they are quiet enough to keep in your bedroom. Both of my tanks are in my room and barelly make any noise ( the bubble stone makes more. And as long as you keep your tank full than yes its fine. If you let you water level get low you will here a splash. Just make sure you keep your tank full.

I have 5 fish tanks in my bedroom, 2 of them have sponge filters, but the other 3 have HOB filters and I use Whisper HOB powerfilters, they are very quiet filters and are very good aswell. They just came out with a brand new filter, newest one to the market.

Here is a link, check them out and see if you like them, I sure do, they also have tons of sweet new features, read up on them aswell and learn all of them.

EX30 Whisper Filter - up to 30 gallon | Power Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Just read all the info and specs. they have under the product, it's a very slick and quiet filter.

I was looking at the New whisper, but I looked up a few reviews and a lot of people said they were louder than the older models. My uncle has and old whisper for his 55 and it's next to silent. So I'm not so sure.

Well I have the 2nd newest verison and this one, they work the same to me honestly.

I have the Whipser ex20 and I have the older verisons of the whipser power filters, the Whisper 60 and Whisper 20.

Thanks everyone, I should be order and buying everything soon.
I'm still open for suggestions, comments etc.
Oh and one thing, What's a good site for ordering plants?, incase my LFS doesn'y carry certain ones

Looks like a fine setup, though I'd try a pair of Pearls. Adult males and females are easily distinguished by the shape of their dorsal fins. You may find a single Pearl to be quite shy (depending on the individual fish). Then again, a pair of Pearls can really pick on each other if they don't mesh. My first pair of Pearls ended with the female being mercilessly attacked by the male.

Thanks for the input, I think I'm only going to do one. It easier to add a fish then get rid of one =]
By the way I love that picture of the Oto in your profile pictures

If your going to have dwarf gourmais I suggest you have sometype of floating plant. They come from slow moving and highly vegetaed flood plains. Its recomended you get gourmais in pairs, although once they mate the male will become very agressive towards the female, and with the 29g I doubt there will be enough room for the both of them. And since its the males job building the bubble nest and tending to the eggs the female should be removed. The eggs will hatch within 24hrs and another 3-5 days until the fry become free swimming. At which point its recomended the male be removed aswell. Until the fry are large enough not to fit into there parents mouths. Gourmais are also very susceptable to disease if not met with proper water conditions, and even still with quality water conditions. Although gourmais can be purchased quite cheap, they are not a fish for beginners. A gourmais who is bobbing and weaving through thick vegetation is a happy gourmais.

-davE

Back
Top Bottom