Questions re: Water Changes, Gravel & Filter Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egironda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a rather indepth series of questions, but remember it's not for me...It's for the kids. :lol:

We have a 90 gal freshwater tank, Fluval 404, and 2-1/2 inches of gravel. Peacefully living here are 4 mollys and 5 gold barbs, and 6 cherry barbs. The tank has been setup since Aug 5th. We added the first 6 barbs (3 gold, 3 cherry) on the 11th, along with the filter, then added the rest of the family on the 18th of Aug. We are in the midst of a "fishy" cycle. I do not want to injure my new 'kids', so I have been checking the tank twice a week for ph, ammonia, nitrAtes, and nitrItes. The ph has stayed constant at 7.4 on the Wardley mid range kit. Yesterday I noticed that the NH3/NH4 kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals was about the same color as the 0.5 to 1.0 box on the card. The nitrAtes on the Jungle Labs dip stick was between 20 and 40 ppm, while the nitrItes were not as pink as the 0.5 ppm indicator. :?

I am wondering how soon I should do the first water change (25 gallons?), trying to balance the cycle with the health of the fish.

How often does the fluval need taken apart and cleaned? The media changed?

Also, how often should I 'gravel vac' the bed? From reading other posts, I know to only do half the gravel at a time.

What kind of "maint. chart" should I put together on the calendar above the tank? How often should I do what? I have two books on FW fish, and they both have different time tables, probably due to not knowing the specifics of an individual tank. I have one of those electronic reminder things on the tank stand, so with the chart AND that, I should be able to remember :oops:

Thanks in advance
Eric G

Ok, since your tank it still cycling, it's a good idea to check the levels every day. This way you can track it better. I am currently cycling a 55 gal, and I changed water anytime the ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates got too high. In fact I just got through with a water change. If you let the levels get too high, this stresses your fish and can stunt their life span considerably because they get stressed...all those things above hurt their gills and other stuff. If you have live plants, (I do) I just vacuum around the plants...trying not to disturb them. This is half the gravel for me...If you have plastic plants, it's a good idea to take them out and clean them with hot water whenever you see algae growth. Unless you don't mind the sight of it, I always let the algae take root on the glass...I like it better that way. Once your tank is through cycling i.e. you have ALL the fish your tank can handle, I would do 50% water change (gravel vac) once a week. This is what I do with my established aquariums...(well, I actually don't have any that are established right now...but I used too!) As for the filter, I check mine everyday to make sure it's running smoothly and nothing is blocking the water flow. I'm going to assume you have a HOB filter with the floss and carbon? Well, if you do, then all you need to do is take it out periodically and sqeeze it gently in a small bucket of the water from your aquarium. Right now, since your tank is cycling, you want to make sure to be gentle with it. But you don't need to change it yet. Ummm...Your ph looks fine...I think :oops: So you shouldn't have to mess with it...I never mess with mine anyway...Ummm...on your checklist thingy...Here's what mine looks like:

Daily: Feed fish, check temp, check filter, check water level, test water (won't do every day once tank cycles)
Weekly: Change 50% of water, vacuum gravel, run magnetic glass thingy over glass if dirty, add plant food
Every 3 months: Add new gravel plugs to gravel for plants (I don't remember what these are really called...sorry if this confuses you)

I think that covers everything...If I missed something, I'm sure someone with pitch in their 2 sense...and possibly correct me if I went wrong somewhere...

Water changes should be going on now. You really don't want any ammonia or nitrites in the tank water; both are dangerous for your fish. Water changes will slow the cycle somewhat, but better to have a slow cycle n healthy fish eh?

I wouldn't worry bout gravel vac yet UNLESS you are overfeeding or notice a lot of debris. Once the tank cycles, how to gravel vac depends on your filters. I use a bio-wheel on all my tanks; the majority of my bacteria live on there so I gravel my tanks completely each time. Doesn't affect my nitrogenous waste levels.

I used a Fluval on my first tank. Rarely changed the media, but I DID rinse it out to remove most of the debris when I water changed. You'll want to rinse it out in the tank water you remove during a water change to keep the bacteria in the sponge alive. You may want to consider adding a Bio-Wheel for additional bacterial colony space.

You're schedule of tank maintainance will be directed by your tests and fish behavior. I originally did 20-30% water changes on my 25g 2-3 times a week. However, the tank was overstocked (I knew this) and it took more work to keep water parameters in good shape. Everyone moved into a 55g and now I do a 20-30% water change once a week; after my last change ammonia=0, nitrites=0, nitrates=5ppm. Obviously, there is no need to change more water then I do, or do changes more often. As they say tho, your mileage may vary.

Well i don't think there is anymore to say, i think punkymom and Allivymar has covered everything. i would just like to say to Allivymar that your know how on cycling an aquarium is outstanding and i take my hat of to you. We do things slightly differant in the UK, but you have made me look at things in a differant light and i thank you for that.

Wow thanx Terry! I'm extremely flattered (and a little embarrassed LOL). I'm pleased to see a lfs owner thinks Punky and I have covered things well :) Nice to know we're all on the same page.

I'm curious. You say things are done a little differently in the UK; how so? I'm guessing the differences are pretty minor, but any new info I can add to my already fish clogged brain is a good thing *grin*

Hi Allivymar
When i say we do things a little differant, i think that it might have been a wrong way of saying it. I think in my case i am just a little behind the times and things have changed a lot since i first started to keep fish. I have read a lot of your post and i have learnt many new things or the way things are done now. Being a lfs owner doesn't mean you know everything, what it does mean is what you have learn't you would like to pass on to others. I am very interested in water chemistry and i would like once again to thank you for what i have leant in a very short time.
It doesn't matter how long somebody has been keeping fish, there is always somebody out there to teach you something new.

Back
Top Bottom