Questions regarding loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As I have recently posted, I am in the process of setting up my Rainbowfish tank. It is a 55 gallon, tahitian moon sand, driftwood and rock, low light plants (anubias, java fern, etc).
My stocking plan is
2 golden dojo loaches (already have)
6 boesmani rainbows (already have 4)(other 2 ordered)
4 red irian rainbows (ordered)
1 female gbr (already have)
I wanted to get a blood parrot as well, but have decided to hold off on that.

My question is: I would really like to add another 1-2 dojo loaches. My lfs has 2 beautiful ones that are about the same size as my exisitng 2. Since loaches prefer groups, I would love to add these guys to the mix.
Aqadvisor tells me this will way overstock my tank (the dojos are a large portion of the stocking capcity as it is). I know they say dojos can get big, but I have heard that they usually dont grow bigger than apx 6 inches in captivity. Mine are currently less than 4 inches, and are almost a year old.
Does anyone have any long term experience with these guys? Are thier bio loads really large, do they grow up to a foot in captivity, etc? My experience with them thus far is they seem to grow slowly, and not much of a bio-load, and I have had mine for close to a year already.
I would really like to add the 2 new dojos in, but would hate to have severe issues down the road, and am trying to avoid an impulse to just go ahead and get these guys without knowing.

Back
Top Bottom