quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zao

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey People!!
Well I was just woundering on something, lastnight I saw that my pleco, and two clown loachs got a small ick out break on them, and I can't really figure out where is came from?? Would of it have came from maybe the food that I bought from the lfs a while back. My buddy at the lfs told me to try out some aquarium yums, and it came with squid, krill, bloodworms, and may different things. I have been feeding them the squid cubes for a while. So is there any way it could have came from that??

The only other thing that I could think of would maybe be from my black knife, that I bought about a week ago? But he was clean, I really didn't see any ick on him, when I bought him. Anyway, I started the salt and heat method tonight to take care of it before it gets out of hand, so if anyone could think where it might have came from, that would be great!

Thanks
Andy

I think ich is always present in the tank. When the fish are stressed for whatever reason--such as sudden temperature changes--they become more vulnerable to ich. I don't think ti would have come from either the food or from recent additions. I am, of course, open to correction if I am wrong.

It could have come from the Black Knife, IMO. Any changes to the tank that stress the fish out could be an issue with ich. It is a protozoan, and always present, but without a host to keep it living, it will die. This is why acclimation is such an important process.

Good thing on using the heat treatment. I wouldn't treat for with meds at all, due to the fish you've got in your tank. Keep up with the heat and salt, and you should be good to go in a few days.

ok so let me refresh my memory with the salt and heat method,

you add salt to the aquarium, and slowly turn the heat up to about 86 to 87 degrees, then wait for all of the ick to pop off, once they are all goin start pwc to help clear out the ick that are surving, and keeping doing that for about two weeks.

I am still going to do a pwc tomarrow, one is it that time of the week and two it will probably help out any that has all ready poped off.

fishyrican said:
I think ich is always present in the tank. When the fish are stressed for whatever reason--such as sudden temperature changes--they become more vulnerable to ich. I don't think ti would have come from either the food or from recent additions. I am, of course, open to correction if I am wrong.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Ich IS NOT always present in the tank. It has to come from an outside source.

some people believe ich is aways present in the tank, i don't believe that, It may be if you haven't treated for it before. The purpose of the heat is to speed up the life cycle of the ich becuase it is only killed at the free swimming stage (not while in spores on the fish) While high temperatures also kill, the salt helps kill it as well.

I beleive the ich came from your new fish, even though he didn't look like he had it, he can still be a carrier and the stress is what will bring the outbreak usually.

Well I think it was from my black ghost knife now, cause I was talking to my buddy at the lfs, and he said that they had a really bad shipment of fish, half of there shipment had ick on them, and of course it was the same week I bought that black knife. So I figured out where it came from now. :)

Anyway, my pleco is looking about better, he does not have that much ick on him now, and two clown loachs don't have that much on them eithor. I am going to do a pwc in a few mins, I didn't get a chance to lastnight, my python adpter broke, so I had to go get a new one tonight. So anyway, that is a update on it.

Back
Top Bottom