quick question about aquaclear hob (removing carbon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcjones

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to ditch the carbon. Would I be Better off running two biomax bags our two sponges. thanks

Is there a reason you are ditching the carbon? Just wondering...since I just got an Aquaclear HOB myself a few weeks ago.

I don't know the reason the OP is ditching, but FYI after about a month the carbon is saturated and no linger works

Why not do both? But personally, I'd do sponge with some poly fill to make the water crystal clear

I got my 2nd aqua clear today. ac 50 for 10g fry tank. I'm ditching the carbon in a few days also... I am going to add more Bio.

I was using the carbon as the tank was getting set up just to get rid of anything nasty from decorations etc.. but now I am conflicted over going with more bio or more sponge. I guess adding the extra sponge kind of does both because some BB has to live in there right?

tcjones said:
I was using the carbon as the tank was getting set up just to get rid of anything nasty from decorations etc.. but now I am conflicted over going with more bio or more sponge. I guess adding the extra sponge kind of does both because some BB has to live in there right?

Yes, BB also lives in the sponge. A lot, actually.

I would put some filter floss or whatever it's called in there. The carbon sort of acts as a fine mechanical filter too. But the filter floss is better. The reason I would do this is because with only the sponge as the mechanical filter, there are a lot of small particles floating around in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom