quick question here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldsteel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, I have a 56 gallon community tank, and I have two neon sunburst moons. The one is pregnant, and I have a breeding trap, but how do I know when she will have her babies? I want to put her in the breeding trap to save the babies. Thanks!

Hi coldsteel :D it's cool to raise baby fish. The problem is those darn breeding traps!!

Although they often work, they also have a tendancy to stress the mother fish to the point of death. I don't mean to scare you but the aren't the safest. Really, the safest way to save the babies and the mother, is to provide her with a small tank half filled with a plant such as java moss. After the blessed event she can be removed back to her old home. Bear in mind that in order to raise these baby fish, you're going to need to provide enough space for them to grow.

That is good advice. Also depending on what sort of survival rate you are looking at it is often fine to leave them in the main tank as long as it is well planted. This normally produces a few survivors per batch, IME.

I've had one preganat fish since I started up my tank, and I put her in a breeding trap she had the babies and al was well... until i realized that I had no where to go with the babies...oops... so I had to try and transfer then as quickly as possible to another tank, and it was all one huge freaking mess!! The idea of putting the mother in another tank until she gives birth is excellent... wish I had done that!

Also, for reference, I took an Embryology class and we raised baby zebrafish... the way we got the eggs was interesting. We put a tray of marbles in the bottom of a tank and when the fish bred (usually in the morning, it is a photoperiod related thing) the fertilized eggs fell in the marble tray and the adults couldn't get to them, and we had baby zebrafish!

I have a species tank of guppies only with both males and females. The females just had babies two weeks ago, I have around 12 baby guppies. I have found that with lots of plants and caves and places for the babies to hide from the adults they will do fine. You always have the chance that you will loose a few to the parents eating them. I have some adults that have grown up in my tank and are going strong. If you do this make sure to use a sponge filter or cover your intake with a nylon, so the babies don't get sucked in.

I have tried to use those breeding nets and had no luck. The females have all been too stressed and never dropped the babies. They do better wandering the tank free until they find a nice quiet safe place to drop them.
Good luck! Babies are soo exciting!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice, i'm setting up a 10 gal soon, i'll probably use it for the babies!

Sounds like a great idea. I'm not familiar with your fish, but I just pulled a mouth brooding cichlid and put her in a QT tank. She seems fine, hoping she doesn't decide to terminate as she did in the main tank 6 weeks ago!

Back
Top Bottom