Quick Question # of Boesemani Rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buc_Nasty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got 3 boesemani rainbowfish. Will the rainbows be ok with only 3 or would the be happier with 5+

I also have 7 roseline sharks/denison barbs whatever you want to call them, which the rainbows school with, and they all seem very healthy, just wondering how much of a difference 5 vs 3 would make in this case.

90g tank

thanks!

I just got 3 boesemani rainbowfish. Will the rainbows be ok with only 3 or would the be happier with 5+

I also have 7 roseline sharks/denison barbs whatever you want to call them, which the rainbows school with, and they all seem very healthy, just wondering how much of a difference 5 vs 3 would make in this case.

90g tank

thanks!

Generally with shoaling / schooling fish, the more the better.

If you can stock another 2 rainbows... which in a 90gal I'd say you should be ok, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, if the rainbows are continuing to school happily with the Denison Barbs, then it's not like you HAVE to get 2 more.

Sounds like you have the right combo of stock and tank size so your current
residents are happily getting along.

BTW ... I'm a big Denison Barb fan so having 7 in a tank makes me jealous:D
I'm so debating adding one more to my tank.

Ya they're awesome right? You'll like this story... A couple yrs ago Petco had them marked wrong as $3.50 instead of $35 each so I bought all 5 they had. Grew them out from an inch or 2 to full grown when I had my 125, then sold all 5 for $125 store credit to a LFS owner who said his buddy was entering them in some competition.
Sold the 125 setup and fish on c-list a yr ago (for no joke $700 profit on my c-list steal) and I've been looking for denisons ever since at LFSs all over CT, MA and NH but around here they're super hard to find esp for less than like $20-30 each.
I finally moved into my apt a month ago and set up my new 90g and wouldn't you know the first time I walk into this random fish store half a mile away they have a huge tank of at least 50 2" denisons just in and were on special 4 for 30 bucks. Got 8 but one died but either way pretty awesome. 4 days later they were all gone.

I'm waiting till my fish and plants grow in a bit before I take pictures but I'll post some eventually. I have a tiny black ghost knife and an awesome L091 Pleco and 2 breeding kribensis in there too. Probly get a couple more rainbows next time they have em.

OMG!! Buc_Nasty .... that is SOOO funny! My first Denison I bought for $30, thought they were aka "tri-color sharks" for $3.00. I get to the counter and I was like WHAT? $30!? and then it hit me, Denisons are aka Roseline sharks which they did have labeled $30 (the densions and tri-color were in the same tank). I bit the bullet.

Well, about a month later, I go to my Petsmart and low and behold, they had a tank full of Denisons for $3.50 or so ... BUT with a Petsmart membership card, they rang up $2.83. So I bought only one because at the time I had a Dension, a Redtail Shark and a Blue Gourami ... all of which can grow up to 6 inches. So in my mind I'm thinking I'll have too many 6 inch fish ... so what did I do? Yep I RETURNED the Denison to Petsmart:facepalm:. It was for the better because my first Denison clearly did NOT like his newest tank-mate.

Well, another few weeks go by, my tank bully Gourami rehomed to a trusted LFS, I'm in a Petland discounts and see Denisons for $15 ... just the perfect purchase for my $25 B-day Gift Card! So I buy my third Denison and this time my original accepted his newest tankmate ... so now I have two.

Well, about another week later, I'm back at the Petsmart looking at supplies when I happen to look in the Dension Tank .. I'm expecting it to be empty ... and find ONE in there ... clearly a bit stressed about being alone, but NO ick or other signs of diseases. I check and it's STILL the same price as before, so I snatch it up ... and that's how I've got my three. They're Absolutely Gorgeous fish!

Haha nice so I guess the best way to get Denison barbs is to check petcos and petsmarts for mislabeled tanks

Buc_Nasty said:
Haha nice so I guess the best way to get Denison barbs is to check petcos and petsmarts for mislabeled tanks

Yep.. Otherwise be prepared to pay $$$$$$.

Back
Top Bottom