Quick Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey folks. I had a quick stocking question. I'm pretty sure I've got my calculations all right, but thought I'd toss it out there just in case I hadn't thought of something.

I'm re-setting up a tank for my housemate. It's a 46 gallon bowfront, has an Eheim 2215, planted tank with sand. Reasonably heavily planted now, but all the plants are new (moving issues, having to redo everything on a year and a half old well established tank--lost most of the plants and all the fish :banghead: ). Definitely set for stocking is a school of 12 cherry barbs and 3 dwarf catfish (don't remember the species name off the top of my head and can't find it in my history, but they hit about 3 inches and a third of that is the long flowy fins. They're not otos, synodontis, or parotocinclus as far as I can recall, but they are the sucker mouth type). Then I'm thinking a small shoal of 4 or 5 peppered corys.

So the main question comes from discussing centerpiece fish. We had 3 pearl gouramis previously and she'd rather not do them again. We've looked at the rams, kribs and the appistogrammas, and I was leaning towards the apisto when she mentioned angels. I haven't really looked into angels other than the basics because they're not a huge interest of mine (my tank is goldfish and dojo loaches with a handful of surviving whiteclouds) but from what I've read and what I remember, it looks like a pair of angels would work out just fine in that tank. Thoughts? Opinions? The bowfront has the height for them, and with it being cherry barbs, they're not nippy. I'm planning on it being rather heavily planted once the plants start taking off, so that'll be nice for them. Whatcha think, folks?

I'd say apistogramma cacatuoides would be a good option. They can be pricey but they are hardy, colorful, and peaceful.

Actually, that's exactly the apisto that I would have gone with--a double or quad red cockatoo apisto lol. I've wanted one for a while now. But it's not my tank, so if the angels will work in there, that's what she'd prefer and I'll just have to wait until the other member of the family can get worn down enough to ok another large-ish tank since they don't work really well in a ten gallon *rofl*.

Back
Top Bottom