Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Fishingdood
Quick Stocking Question

Have a 30 gallon tank full cycled and all that jazz...as of now I have 10 neon tetras, 5 Rummy nose and 12 ghost shrimp...tank paras are all great ...colors are really nice on all fish plenty of hidding spots blah blah..I was curious how many more rummy nose fish I could add? I wanted to put another 5 in there...but of course I do not want to overload my system...any help is appeciated

Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: Quick Stocking Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingdood
Have a 30 gallon tank full cycled and all that jazz...as of now I have 10 neon tetras, 5 Rummy nose and 12 ghost shrimp...tank paras are all great
what does "great" mean? your idea of "great" and mine might be different... what are the ppm of everything?
Quote:
...colors are really nice on all fish plenty of hidding spots blah blah..I was curious how many more rummy nose fish I could add? I wanted to put another 5 in there...but of course I do not want to overload my system...any help is appeciated
i think you could go with 5 more rummys but why not think about a centerpiece fish instead?

Old 05-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

AM - 0
Nitri - 0
Nitra - 0
PH - 7.0

Honestly never thought about a "center piece" fish before...not even sure what one might be in my tank
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey I have a way overstocked tank 29 gallon, My personal experence is you fit as many fish into the tank, until they start fighting; then again I do a 5 gallon water change everyday.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by corster
Hey I have a way overstocked tank 29 gallon, My personal experence is you fit as many fish into the tank, until they start fighting; then again I do a 5 gallon water change everyday.
Alright... I get to be the first to disagree.

That is definitely not a good way to stock a tank and there are several reasons why. Jamming fish in until they start fighting is reckless and stressful to the fish. I suggest you plan ahead and avoid this situation entirely.

I am glad that the OP seems to be doing just that.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

so no one has any ideas what a good "center piece" fish might be? gouramni or something?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Gourami would work. There are lots of different kinds. Pearl gouramis are pretty fish and not as aggresive as the blues and golds. Maybe a pair of dwarf cichlids. I would say an angel fish but your neons wouldn't like that.

The problem with a bigger centerpeice fish is your shrimp population would probably dissappear quickly.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have been researching...Pretty sure I am going to go with a M&F pearl Gouramis...everything I have read says they are very peacefull and work well with tetras..thanks for the help all
Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
eah
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a pearl gourami that I love! I'd definitely suggest one as a centerpiece.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think your tank is to small for a pair of Pearls. The male will chase and harass the female to no end. You should have a 3/1 ratio but again, the tank is to small for that. I would just get a male. Also, I would add 5 more Rummynose, a larger group would look better and would become your center piece for the tank.

300 gallon Tang - 180 gallon - two 125 gallon South American - 75 Tang - 40 CAE - 20 Cyprichromis grow out
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ya I already changed my mind..I am going to with 2 dojos and 5 rummy nose
Old 05-11-2007, 04:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pearl gouramis (especially the ADULT males) are (in my opinion) the most beautiful fish. Definitely ranks up there with discus for beauty.

1 more thing - Gouramis should have at least 15 gallons for each gourami.

Tags
ick, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com