Quick Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingdood

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a 30 gallon tank full cycled and all that jazz...as of now I have 10 neon tetras, 5 Rummy nose and 12 ghost shrimp...tank paras are all great ...colors are really nice on all fish plenty of hidding spots blah blah..I was curious how many more rummy nose fish I could add? I wanted to put another 5 in there...but of course I do not want to overload my system...any help is appeciated

Fishingdood said:
Have a 30 gallon tank full cycled and all that jazz...as of now I have 10 neon tetras, 5 Rummy nose and 12 ghost shrimp...tank paras are all great
what does "great" mean? your idea of "great" and mine might be different... what are the ppm of everything?
...colors are really nice on all fish plenty of hidding spots blah blah..I was curious how many more rummy nose fish I could add? I wanted to put another 5 in there...but of course I do not want to overload my system...any help is appeciated
i think you could go with 5 more rummys but why not think about a centerpiece fish instead?

AM - 0
Nitri - 0
Nitra - 0
PH - 7.0

Honestly never thought about a "center piece" fish before...not even sure what one might be in my tank

Hey I have a way overstocked tank 29 gallon, My personal experence is you fit as many fish into the tank, until they start fighting; then again I do a 5 gallon water change everyday.

corster said:
Hey I have a way overstocked tank 29 gallon, My personal experence is you fit as many fish into the tank, until they start fighting; then again I do a 5 gallon water change everyday.
Alright... I get to be the first to disagree.

That is definitely not a good way to stock a tank and there are several reasons why. Jamming fish in until they start fighting is reckless and stressful to the fish. I suggest you plan ahead and avoid this situation entirely.

I am glad that the OP seems to be doing just that.

Gourami would work. There are lots of different kinds. Pearl gouramis are pretty fish and not as aggresive as the blues and golds. Maybe a pair of dwarf cichlids. I would say an angel fish but your neons wouldn't like that.

The problem with a bigger centerpeice fish is your shrimp population would probably dissappear quickly.

I have been researching...Pretty sure I am going to go with a M&F pearl Gouramis...everything I have read says they are very peacefull and work well with tetras..thanks for the help all

I have a pearl gourami that I love! I'd definitely suggest one as a centerpiece. :D

I think your tank is to small for a pair of Pearls. The male will chase and harass the female to no end. You should have a 3/1 ratio but again, the tank is to small for that. I would just get a male. Also, I would add 5 more Rummynose, a larger group would look better and would become your center piece for the tank.

Pearl gouramis (especially the ADULT males) are (in my opinion) the most beautiful fish. Definitely ranks up there with discus for beauty.

1 more thing - Gouramis should have at least 15 gallons for each gourami.

Back
Top Bottom