Quiet Tank in Bedroom - Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithw14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello!

I want to oxygenate the water in my 20g community tank in my bedroom, but I also don't like falling asleep to the "trickling" noise made by the waterfall return with my power filter.

Is it possible to have a tank with a power filter that does not make noise with the water return, yet still agitates the water so as to oxygenate it?

If so, how?

-William

Raise the water level in the tank for less overflow splashing? You need surface movement, don't have to have splashing. Try a canister filter?

A canister on a 20g is probably overkill.

Keep the water level high and add an airstone to agitate teh water.

I grew up with a 20g in my room and the sound of water doesn't bother me ;)

how much surface movement? How much clearance should be between the water return and the surface of the water? 1 inch? less than that? Can I rasise the water level to the base of the water return? That would mean no clearance but

I keep my water level at the base of the filter (AC500 and AC70) and have had no ill effect. There seems to be enough water movement.

A canister is not overkill as long as you use one that is appropriate. You can buy small canisters for that size of a tank.

I have two tanks in the bedroom--25 and 29, both with canisters and the outflow is either under the water aiming up, or right at the water surface.

I just set up a new tank with a canister filter (my first canister). I am so amazed by how quiet it is. At first I was constantly checking it - feeling the hoses and casing for some vibration, watching the outflow - to make sure it was still on and running! It really is that quiet, and no trickling water sounds at all.

A canister filter on a 20 gallon is fine. As mentioned above, there are small canisters that will work. My canister is on a 10 gallon tank and it is a Hydor Prime 10. You may like the Hydor Prime 20 or a Fluval 205.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/fluval.html
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...Product_Code=HY-C01234&Category_Code=Hydor-cf

I should clarify my statement about the canister being overkill.

Yes, you can put one on a small tank like that and you'll have great filtration. But you have to be willing to pay at least double the cost of a decent HOB power filter. The Marineland Penguin 200B is only $25 at Big Al's and is plenty of filtration. With a canister you're looking to spend close to $60.

If you're willing to pay that much, then great! But the HOB will certainly perform well on a tank that size for much less. Of course if a quieter tank is worth that much to you... ;)

Keep the water level up. I have 2 tanks in my room, 55g and 10g. Both have Aquaclear filters and I have to keep the water level up so I don't get the trickling sound. When the level is a little low, I can take the waterfall sound, but I can always tell when the water gets too low...the trickling bothers me.

Or if you have the money get a cannister. I'll be taking the AC off my 55g soon and I have an XP3 on there....it is super quiet. Keep the spraybar under the water and you're good to go.

3 20s in my bedroom.

just set 2 more up last night.

i use HOB and biowheels on them. to keep noise down, i just keep the water level as high as possible.

besides, once i got used to it, i really liked the sound.

haha. i just moved and i have all three tanks in the same room i sleep in.
the noise doesnt even keep me up i look at it like it helps me relax cause of the water and my baby fishys. I think the only time it does is when everything in the room is turned offand thats for about half a second

if you have a bio wheel filter, you can hold both sides of the bio wheel and turn them in opposite directions until a poping sound is heard. this will put the fins of the wheel at an angle to the flow and thereby reducing the noise.

I have 1 350 and 2 250 models. And they are super quiet, and also heat the tank and provide circulation as well. And if you need some aeration, you can use the aeration feature as well. It uses sponges for the filter, and has carbon packs you put in as well. And if you don't want to use carbon, they also sell the ceramic cylinder packs to replace the carbon packs, which is what I did.

Another feature I like, you can run it horiontal or vertical or any other angle.

If a small tank, like a 10G, the one you want is the 250 model. I have a 350 model, and can only have it horiontal, as the filter is too long to go vertical. As soon as I get my other 2 10G tanks, I'll set the breeder tanks up and put the 2 250's in my planted 10G tanks, and will get a 20G for the 350 model.

Back
Top Bottom