R.I.P Bert and Ernie :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeFeKt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Someone murdered 2 of my fish at our engagement party...
I have no idea what was put into my tank or who did it, but woke up to find them both under the driftwood, with stomachs almost about to explode..as well as that i found 2 kids trying to catch my betta which someone had put on the floor in front of them...have people no respect??
One thing i've learnt from keeping fish....you never mess with someone else tank...
look and admire... that is all,
a mins silence for bert and ernie please :(

Aww...that really sucks, DeFeKt :(

My boyfriend lives in a fraternity house with his tanks, and I'm constantly worried about drunken revellers getting into his room. So far, so good...but I guess you're never completely safe...

Sorry to hear it...

It is sad that people can't leave other people's fish alone. One of my fiance's friends stayed the weekend with us and one night I went downstairs and he was watching the fish and he had his hand in the tank, trying to get them to bite his hand. I freaked because who knows what was on his hand. He could have just washed his hands and still had soap on them. The next day I bought a canopy for the 55 so noone would go into it anymore. Another instance happened when his cousin Cody came over when I wasn't home and he had his arms in the 10 gal tank trying to catch one of my Tetra's. I walked in and here he was, chasing a tetra around the tank. I flipped out and kicked Cody out of the house.

Canopies help sometimes. Also, you could put a little sign on your tank hood that says, do not touch. It's sad that you have to do it, but I do it now on the 150, 10 and 5 gal tank when people are over. When they leave, I take it off. When asked about the sign I always tell them that I'm afraid of something contaminating the tank, like someone accidently spilling their drink in the water. At times I get eyes rolled at me and one person even told me that I'm being paranoid, but noone wants soda being spilled into their tanks like we don't want a transit bus parking in our house.

Thats a brilliant idea... although, being in the mood i'm in now about my fish, i think i'll go for a sign along the lines of " Don't Touch my Fu***ng Fish C**T"

Sorry for your loss. It is always beyond aggrevating when some idiot acts up especially when they are torturing living creatures. It is sad that some people have such little respect for living things.

I can't imagine how upset I would be if that happened to me. I would send a note to EVERY person who was there telling them how much you appreciate (sarcastically) what happened and the unappreciated death of your fish....I would tellthem just how much time and money is invested in the tank and how much you spend on upkeep. Explain to them that if they come to your home again, you expect them to leave the tank alone.

That is just maddening! :bad-words: It's unfortunate that people do not see fish as pets, just as some decorative toy or novelty. :evil:

For my wood canopy over my office fish tank, I used the Safety 1st Tot-Loc Set (Model 71173) which I bought at HD for about $13. It is completely hidden, but very effective. Of course, that doesn't help if you don't have a wooden canopy. :(

black udder said:
truly sad.

too many @$$holes in the world.

Is it really any better to have overstocked and uncomaptible fish tanks that I have seen at least one user post about without anyone seeming to care? I'm sorry for Bert and Ernie, but at least they didn't suffer for years first.

If they had their own pet fish I'm sure they would not have done those things. They really don't understand the 'hobby', the time put into it and the emotional attatchment we have with these animals. It could be that it doesn't seem cruel to them since there are so many fish killed to be eaten by humans. For instance: Many fisherman couldn't care less about the fish being living things, all they're thinking about is how big of a catch they can get and how tasty it will be.
:hat: :rocket:

DeFeKt said:
just a question
47 INCh of fish to 120 gallons, is that overstocked?

Depends... one 47 inch fish then yes. 47 1" neons and you are way understocked.

RoK said:
If they had their own pet fish I'm sure they would not have done those things. They really don't understand the 'hobby', the time put into it and the emotional attatchment we have with these animals. It could be that it doesn't seem cruel to them since there are so many fish killed to be eaten by humans. For instance: Many fisherman couldn't care less about the fish being living things, all they're thinking about is how big of a catch they can get and how tasty it will be.
:hat: :rocket:

I think you are partially right. People may not see fish as a pet. However I am a keen and avid fisherman and I would disagree that fishermen couldn't care less. Most fisherman I know do care and definitely do not want fish to be abused. Sure I like a big catch and enjoy tasty fish, but I also want fish to be around for the future. I see no need for abuse of a precious resource.

I wouldn't have considered that tank overstocked.
However, if that Barra reached max. size it would eat the oscars! Doesn't look like it could now but barra get over 3' long and can get over 120 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom