Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Japola44
Rainbow Fish ?

So i finnaly got to teh lfs by my school yesterday, and i was a little disapointed by their fresh water selection. They had some really pretty salt water fish but back to my point. They had a bunch of Rainbow Fish which i am guessing were fry due to there size. They were only about 1" long and had no color what so ever. They just looked like a little silver fish.
No I was planning on getting some for my new 55 gal, but they need to be big enough to not let my bichir or knife fish eat them. So how fast do they grow? I have my 20 gal tank they can grow in, but i dont want them to be growing big enough for 2 years yah know. Also, do they only get color until after a certain point or was the kind at the lfs a different than what i am thinking?

"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Japola44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

did the lfs say what kind of rainbow fish they were?

Old 12-17-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It would be very hard to know what type of rainbow you were getting, and I have seen a lot of 1 inch fish completely mislabeled, but if they were cheap, you could roll the dice and maybe get some cool ones. Most reach maturity within a year.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:55 AM   #4
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Rainbows seem to grow pretty quickly and color up nicely as they get older. Most do not get any longer than 6", many much smaller. The bichir will probably get big enough to eat them.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rainbow fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com