Rainbow fish and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bengals

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anybody have any experience with rainbow fish and shrimp? The LFS said the rainbows wouldn't bother the shrimp but this morning we caught one eating a shrimp! We hadn't fed the fish in 48hrs as we're trying to deal with high ammonia (keeps hitting 0.25 by the test kit) so maybe the fish was just really hungry??

Anyway thought I'd ask in case somebody knows if they'll get along. We had 18 shrimp and 6 rainbow. As of this morning we still have the 6 rainbow and unknown number of shrimp. I will count them tonight.

My rainbows enjoy snacking on ghost shrimp and shrimlets.

What kind of shrimp did you buy? Having plenty of cover will help your shrimp last longer.

We have (or perhaps sadly had) some RCS. Very sad to hear that. **** fish stores! We have a lot of lava rocks microswords...etc. I'll try to get some more cover for them. I was hoping for happy interspecies relationships. Oye. Maybe I can get one of those refugium boxes for safety and have them multiply in it?

That may be a good idea. I like to have a small colony going/breeding and then add from. My dt from there

Is there any refugium you'd recommend. I was thinking of this one.

from finnex though + light it's around $50 which seems like a lot for a small box. Is it better to have the refugium inside or outside the tank? Also I'll have to figure out how to rescue my remaining shrimp. I guess I'll need a shrimp net.

Do you have a photo of your system?

Edit: Is there anything special you need to do to get them to breed in the box? I assume I'll need to add some gravel...etc. I also found a cheaper no frills box but it does not have a light.

I don't use a refug. That being said my shrimp live and breed in an extra ten gallon. I simply move them to my main tank when ready.

Also on where is best to place it, while not certain, I would get one that could be placed in the tank as the temperature will be easier to maintain.

Thanks for the link. I'll try that. What do you recommend for feeding the shrimp? We've been using algae wafers. Anything you'd recommend?

Given that shrimp are scavengers they will eat anything. Depends on your goal. I like sinking pellets by hikari and assorted frozen food

Back
Top Bottom