rainbow fish - ethical dillema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frog girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for some new fish for my 60 gallon octagonal that would be interesting to watch behaviorally but also peaceful towards tankmates.

So I have been reading about all sorts of fish. The rainbows really caught my eye and they sound really social (a bit like the tiger barbs which I would like to get rid of).

I was thinking of the dwarf/neon rainbowfish.

Problem is they are listed on the IUCN redlist as rare.

I am a biologist & don't want to support exploitation of endangered species or ecosystems. I did read that they breed like crazy in captivity but buying them does create more demand which increases fishing pressure. . .

What do you all think?? Does anyone have more specific info on this species?? If I bought ones that where farm raised is it still unethical??

I sell the snakes I breed in the pet trade because I figure that reduces pressure on natural populations but . . . I am torn . . . :?

If they are farm raised it is ultra-ethical in my opinion. Then if you get them to breed you are helping even more and will have greater feelings of self worth. If memory serves they are only found in one lake somewhere, and that is why they are on the redlist. I think the export of the dwarf neon/ praecox rainbow has already been banned, so the ones in the store are probably farm raised.
My favorite lfs no longer has them and I hate the only store around that I know of that still has them. The last one I bought there died in less than three days and I showed them the worm (camallanus I later learned) that wriggled out of it after it died and they still tried to blame it on water conditions :evil: .

Well, i have Ameca Splendins in my tank (another red listed fish) and they are breeding in my tank. Whether or not it is from a captive bred area or not i dont know ... but The fact that i am going to breed them so others can enjoy them is a goal of mine.

Apocalypse_Gold said:
If they are farm raised it is ultra-ethical in my opinion.

I agree 100%. In fact, my local aquarium society just launched a program that encourages hobbyists to keep and breed endangered/threatened FW species. The club leadership believes that this will help ensure the availability of these species for future aquarists, in a way that does not further deplete wild stock.

BTW, it appears that habitat destruction - not necessarily over-harvesting by the tropical fish industry - is responsible for nearly all the endangered species.

Thank you all for your input. I guess farm raised fish make sense as long as they don't get any stock from the wild. Can anyone tell me how I will know for sure if they are farm raised. I know my LFS couldn't care less. Have any of you ordered fish online from places that raise them? Have you had success with that in terms of things arriving alive & healthy??

I know that habitat destruction is the main concern in almost all cases, but I think at least in the case of some rainbow fish (i.e. bosemanii) I have read that they are endangered partially due to overharvesting. Thats the one I really want but unless I can get them farm raised there is no way I will get that species.

Back
Top Bottom