Rainbow ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this little fish in an order of boesemani rainbows...obviously she's not boesemani. She seems perfectly content schooling with the other rainbows but I still want to get her some more like her.

I was thinking she may be M. Herbertaxelrodi. What do you think?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424633425.959134.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424633441.982005.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424633466.118135.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's a female boesemani. I know 'cause I'm a rainbow expert lol. Generally female and male rainbows of any species have drastic differences.

Hmm, now that I'm looking at pictures online it does match some of them. Strange though because I have another female that shows the orange and blue. Confirmed female too because her and the dominant male bred.

I agree it's undoubtably a female Boesemani. They are not as "full" through the body as the males, especially as they get older, and generally not as brightly colored. They can range in color, though, and sounds as if your other female that is showing the orange and blue is a not as typical as most. This one does look typical to me.

I had a female that looked exactly like that. Unfortunately she died in about a week because in the few days after I got her, there was a massive ich outbreak :(

I have a few rainbows in my community tank. some pictures.
36993-albums13605-picture64513.jpg

36993-albums13605-picture64511.jpg

36993-albums13605-picture64509.jpg

36993-albums13605-picture64506.jpg

36993-albums13605-picture64505.jpg

I really love these fish. great color, size and temperament. great addition to a fresh water tank.

I love rainbows, how did you get them to breed?

I wish the rarer species were more available like with plecos.

I love rainbows, how did you get them to breed?

I wish the rarer species were more available like with plecos.

I did absolutely nothing. They're always shaking around at one another trying to get it to happen, this was just the first time I witnessed it all going down. Right afterwards though my severum and acara came and ate everything up, I felt kind of sad for the rainbows. They were just hovering around like "hey, those were ours."

I own 12 different species of rainbows.

I have:

Boesemani
Praecox
Turquoise
New Guinea
Red Irian
Australian
Eastern
Lake Tebera
Parckinsoni
Trifasciata
Wanamensis
Maccullochi

I own 12 different species of rainbows.

I have:

Boesemani

Praecox

Turquoise

New Guinea

Red Irian

Australian

Eastern

Lake Tebera

Parckinsoni

Trifasciata

Wanamensis

Maccullochi

Wow, very cool. Have a favorite?

Rainbows are too hyper for my taste, although the Praecox is my favorite, and don't mind having them. The bigger ones tend to be very bossy and pushy at feeding time. I think Rainbows should be kept in a species only tank or kept with other fish the same size and strength. I have to feed my smaller fish on the other side of my 55, in the floating bamboo because the Rainbows are too big to navigate through it. Otherwise my smaller fish would never get a chance to eat! But I agree that Rainbows are quite pretty fish--they are just too good at body slamming and being obnoxious when it comes to food.

Rainbows are too hyper for my taste, although the Praecox is my favorite, and don't mind having them. The bigger ones tend to be very bossy and pushy at feeding time. I think Rainbows should be kept in a species only tank or kept with other fish the same size and strength. I have to feed my smaller fish on the other side of my 55, in the floating bamboo because the Rainbows are too big to navigate through it. Otherwise my smaller fish would never get a chance to eat! But I agree that Rainbows are quite pretty fish--they are just too good at body slamming and being obnoxious when it comes to food.

They are pretty voracious eaters. Luckily, my rainbows are the smallest fish in my tank and they like flakes while everyone else enjoys pellets so it's never a huge concern. Plus, they're being kept with cichlids who don't mind shoving back.

Definitely female boes. None of mine ever had the orange/blue coloration...they are subtle but absolutely beautiful especially in sunlight. Loved those gals but ended up trading all of mine because they were neurotic at feeding time and scared the bejesus out of my big fish.
I also constantly saw them breeding with no prompt. Their tankmates would follow them around waiting for the eggs to fall so they could munch so I never was able to save any.

You might want to try the dwarf rainbow species then. Any of the Pseudomugil species or the Threadfin rainbows are very docile with their tank mates. I have Psuedomugil Paskai in with Cherry Barbs & Apistos in one tank, and the Threadfins in a 75g community and they don't bother anyone. In fact, they tend to be the most easily out-competed members of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom