rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luk00

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
can somebody explain, i purchased a rainbow shark 3 days ago and he still has not eatin, do they feed off algae aswell? he just hides in my driftwood all day

I haven't kept one in a while, but I recall them being both shy and nocturnal. If you're not already, I'd suggest dropping in something that sinks (i.e. shrimp pellets) when the lights go out.

I haven't kept one in a while, but I recall them being both shy and nocturnal. If you're not already, I'd suggest dropping in something that sinks (i.e. shrimp pellets) when the lights go out.

yes, hes very shy and doesnt come out when im around

They are VERY shy when they're smaller, and can get pretty territorial. They are mostly algae eaters/vegetarians. They like hidey holes. When I had mine, he and my Raphael cat would switch off hiding spots in the pipes I have set up (that my Raphael is quickly outgrowing but doesn't seem to care). Caves and plants are also favorites. I lost mine due to a power outage, but as he got bigger, I saw him more.

yeah, he likes to just chill in my log and under it, should i place a live plant around his territory for food, my live plant right now is across the tank and my tank is massive

If he's found a spot, he's probably fine. What else do you have in the tank? I have a lot of livebearers and omnivores, so even if I didn't see mine eat, I was pretty sure he was getting food since everyone in there was getting a mainly veggie diet. You could put some cooked zucchini near his favorite spot and see if he goes for that.

If he's found a spot, he's probably fine. What else do you have in the tank? I have a lot of livebearers and omnivores, so even if I didn't see mine eat, I was pretty sure he was getting food since everyone in there was getting a mainly veggie diet. You could put some cooked zucchini near his favorite spot and see if he goes for that.

i have 2 angels 4 mollies 4 neon tetras 1 dwarf gourami 3 spotted plecos 3 corys

i have 2 angels 4 mollies 4 neon tetras 1 dwarf gourami 3 spotted plecos 3 corys

He'll like the same thing the plecos, cories, and mollies like. Just watch out that the mollies don't steal all of the food in the tank. Also, you should get more cories.

the mollies and angels eat so much its out of control, thats what concerns me

I don't have angels and I only know them from youtube really, but I always get my mollies excited over something one side of the tank (seaweed, pellets, food, whatever) and then give my shyer fish their foods on the other side.)

They are shy during the day but will attack other fish at night, they are jerk so watch the tank mates, as far as eating in sure he is you just aren't seeing it, does his stomach look sunken in?

They are shy during the day but will attack other fish at night, they are jerk so watch the tank mates, as far as eating in sure he is you just aren't seeing it, does his stomach look sunken in?

No his stomach seems pretty normal but also i observed last night and when i turned the tank light iff he came out and it looked as if he was scavenging the floor

I don't have angels and I only know them from youtube really, but I always get my mollies excited over something one side of the tank (seaweed, pellets, food, whatever) and then give my shyer fish their foods on the other side.)

yeah i tend to try and fees my tetras and my dwarf on the other side since theyre smaller

Back
Top Bottom