Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

rainbow shark aggression

ive been reading random threads,and read that if you have enough,you can get rainbow sharks to school,is this true?if so,how many do i need? how big of tank do i need?could i have rainbows and redtails?i think this would look really cool.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

One rainbow needs 50 gallons I had 2 at one time in my 55 gallon and as they got older they started to fight each other, neither of them survived I didn't realize what was going on at the time. I recently got another one and it is perfectly happy.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #3

Like... 300 gallons IMO. If you need 55 for one, you'd have to have enough space for them to spread out in case they don't school. I agree though... That'd look beast!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Rainbows look great but I wouldn't count on them schooling. Otherwise they are very peaceful, I did have a rainbow and a red tail but they would stay away from each other and chase one another from their side of the tank. I think they look better than bala sharks.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

They will school in a large enough (20+) group, but they'll need a huge tank. In aquaria, they really are best kept singly. Red tails will not co-exist well at all in groups and shouldn't be mixed with rainbow. A single rainbow shark makes a much better "community" addition than a red tail IME.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
They will school in a large enough (20+) group, but they'll need a huge tank. In aquaria, they really are best kept singly. Red tails will not co-exist well at all in groups and shouldn't be mixed with rainbow. A single rainbow shark makes a much better "community" addition than a red tail IME.
ok,i guess ill just keep my rainbow without other sharks.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

They fool you since they act so peacefully when small.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRob View Post
They fool you since they act so peacefully when small.
not if you do your reasearchthankfully,when i got mine i didnt have room for a school,or id be rehoming some sharks.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's one of our most commonly warned against fish when people come in.. because they always want multiples and there's only so far you can go when it comes to telling them no. They try it and something bad usually happens. That would be pretty, though.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalix
It's one of our most commonly warned against fish when people come in.. because they always want multiples and there's only so far you can go when it comes to telling them no. They try it and something bad usually happens. That would be pretty, though.
Unfortunate people dont care about facts. I mean, you wouldnt sell a rabit and a 10' snake together unless the rabit was for food...pretty obvious. But when you are uneducated, in the sense, about the fish you are buying you should be told 'NO' if the knowledge is there. I guess the sad part is, it's just a fish, we can replace it tomorrow mantallity is all too common. If i felt that way about dogs or penguins I would be thought of pretty poorly.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally have read a thread on another forum about a guy who kept a school of RTBS in his HUGE tank, think it was 320 gallons or something.

Tags
aggression, rainbow shark, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com