Rainbow Shark Eating Habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I have this rainbow shark, he looks good I don't see anything wrong except that he ignores the food I give and just nibbles at the aquarium all day long. Is that normal for them to do? He's very active and everything and behaves well, except for that one thing.

My red tail shark does the exact same thing...cant figure it out tho

my bala sharks do that too....but will eat the food i feed too...not as quick to get it as the tiger barbs but eventually grab something..r u using flakes or pellets??

i use granules and pellets. i tried feeding the shark this morning when i woke up while the other fish were still inactive and he fed for awhile until the shrimp came and stole it.

I use flakes and they seem to like those and will catch them when they get to mid-tank.

I use flakes but he ignores them, blood worms he'll eat a bit of. Usually though he's just nibbling around the tank.

yeah mine do that most of the time too. Just think, if they werent eating then they wouldnt be alive right now lol positive way to think of it. They are "in-the-closet" eaters lol

Rainbow sharks love algae, that's what they are looking around for in your tank. Mine spends his days cruising up and down the glass looking for algae, and he also loves to skim the surface of plants and decorations in the tank, eating algae off of them. He will occasionally eat "regular" fish food everyone else in the tank goes crazy for, but he loves the algae wafers I drop in for the catfish. Also, he will eat frozen brine shrimp on the nights I feed that. Hope that helps. Yours is totally normal. Mine has always been that way, and he's growing and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom