Rainbow shark tank requirement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 80 gallon 100 cm length 70 cm height (300 litre) i have 4 guppies medium sized and 5 platys and 5 molllies and 2 gouramis 1 blue and 1 yellow..and i was wondering if i can have like 1 ore more rainbow shark they are so beautiful i want to know if he live all his life span happy in my tank...thank you

that's my tank

attachment.php

While your tank exceeds the minimum gallonage requirements, I would tend to think it would prefer a different ( longer verse taller ) shaped footprint. They do like lots of space to swim, driftwood, and dense areas of cover. It will set up it's own territory and become aggressive as it matures so it may not be an ideal match for your current peaceful stock. I'm not saying it can't be done, just not what I would put in there.

It should be okay, but keep an eye out as it matures. Depending on its personality it may harass your other fish. Since you have all upper water fish, it should be ok though. They tend to harass bottom dwellers the most. I have a full grown red tail black shark (similar personality to the rainbow shark) in my 75g community with gourami and guppies and they get along fine.

I would agree that a 48" tank is desirable for a rainbow, they are active fish and more nocturnal. I would be concerned with the platys because they don't get more than a few inches and may get harassed. My rainbow killed 10 tiger barbs before I gave away the remaining 4. All of my fish are similar in size now, and it is very peaceful.
We'll see how it goes with that, but I recall reading about rainbows needing to be housed with similar sized fish when I did my research prior to stocking my tank. Wish I'd heeded better.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would agree that a 48" tank is desirable for a rainbow, they are active fish and more nocturnal. I would be concerned with the platys because they don't get more than a few inches and may get harassed. My rainbow killed 10 tiger barbs before I gave away the remaining 4. All of my fish are similar in size now, and it is very peaceful.
We'll see how it goes with that, but I recall reading about rainbows needing to be housed with similar sized fish when I did my research prior to stocking my tank. Wish I'd heeded better.

It really depends on the individual fish's personality. My RTBS ignores all my smaller fish completely, including my school of Dwarf Chain Loaches. If anything, it seems to harass similar sized fish MORE, as it will periodically "herd" my female blue/opaline/lavendar gourami around the tank.

It really depends on the individual fish's personality. My RTBS ignores all my smaller fish completely, including my school of Dwarf Chain Loaches. If anything, it seems to harass similar sized fish MORE, as it will periodically "herd" my female blue/opaline/lavendar gourami around the tank.

Yes, red tail sharks are known for personality being a big factor. Rainbows aren't red tails though. Similar, but not identical.
I was just posting my personal experience so that anyone can draw their own conclusions.

The rainbow sharks I've kept weren't aggressive to fish excluding my plecos since I only had a few caves.

Back
Top Bottom