Rainbow shark terrorizing pictus catfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FoxRaid

Aquarium Advice Activist
My one rainbow shark has claimed it seems the whole tank. He will not let any of the pictus swim outside of this pot which is also apperantly his. Once they swim out he chases them back into the pot. Any ideas to stop the aggression?

Tank size? May need more hiding spaces

Yes, we will need more info. Tank size, how large are all your fish, who was added first? If the shark was first in and you added the cats at a later point, then your shark has clamed the entire tank.I would recommend remove the shark and moving ALL decor around. Add the cats first, let them establish their spots then add back in your shark. Now it will be the new fish and essentially the low man on the totem pole.

It's a 75g tank the rainbow shark was added with a pictus at the same point in time. Then I got 2 more pictus a couple of weeks later to help calm the other one down. The rainbow shark is about 2in. One pictus is abt 4in the other two are 2in. I have it lightly planted with an air pump. The decor is spread throughout the whole tank but they all choose the big pot or just won't venture out much. If I go about removing them and putting them back in after I move everything or take whatever out how long do u have to keep them out of the tank or can I put them back in after I move it all via pictus first?

Should I remove that pot and keep it out as well?

Yes, we will need more info. Tank size, how large are all your fish, who was added first? If the shark was first in and you added the cats at a later point, then your shark has clamed the entire tank.I would recommend remove the shark and moving ALL decor around. Add the cats first, let them establish their spots then add back in your shark. Now it will be the new fish and essentially the low man on the totem pole.

I don't agree about the shark changing its attitude. I know the decoration movement is a good strategy for most fish but a shark will almost always be the bully. I know firsthand lol.

Tried the suggested idea and it's still going in even after I moved everything. Worked for 5minutes then the same thing happened all over again.

Tried the suggested idea and it's still going in even after I moved everything. Worked for 5minutes then the same thing happened all over again.

What I tell ya lol. Either remove the shark or the cats

My one rainbow shark has claimed it seems the whole tank. He will not let any of the pictus swim outside of this pot which is also apperantly his. Once they swim out he chases them back into the pot. Any ideas to stop the aggression?

I had three pictus catfish, ich killed one. The two I have always stay in the same spot. I have two logs and they swim back and forth inside them, only coming out sometimes. I would like to know what exactly the rainbow is doing. Does it chase the pictus to the pot, and harass them If the come out?

Harassing them basically. I introduced two clown loaches to mine and the shark was PISSED. The loaches were good sports though and now everything is ok. My rainbow still chases them but not nearly as bad as the first two days.

Harassing them basically. I introduced two clown loaches to mine and the shark was PISSED. The loaches were good sports though and now everything is ok. My rainbow still chases them but not nearly as bad as the first two days.

I have a red tail. I know they aren't exactly the same, but a lot of people say that Rey are similar in behavior. I have never had trouble with my red tale. It chases other fish around now and again, but there are enough fish than no one gets singled out.

I have a red tail. I know they aren't exactly the same, but a lot of people say that Rey are similar in behavior. I have never had trouble with my red tale. It chases other fish around now and again, but there are enough fish than no one gets singled out.

That's interesting. Usually red tails are much more aggressive than rainbows.

That's interesting. Usually red tails are much more aggressive than rainbows.

I had a rainbow that bullied this one so bad that it hid behind the thermometer until I gave the rainbow away.
I didn't know the red tales were more aggressive. I would have thought the other way around. I guess they do have different personalities.

I do have other larger fish in there, so maybe it knows to mind it's own business.

Here is some pictures. One is of it and the pictus in the same log.

Attachments

• image-2124357554.jpg
    image-2124357554.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 66
  • image-182324310.jpg
    image-182324310.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 78
I'm surprised about the pictus. When I first started on this hobby I had a pictus in my tank. I loved him even though he ate all my neons lol Anyway I had a nice rock that made a great cave for him. My brother then convinced me to add a crayfish to the tank. That's when the WAR began. These two would go at it fighting over the cave every single day. The pictus won every battle until the cray dug a tunnel behind the rock and chased him out from behind. It was really crazy to watch. Weird to hear about a larger pictus being bullied by the smaller shark.

I'm surprised about the pictus. When I first started on this hobby I had a pictus in my tank. I loved him even though he ate all my neons lol Anyway I had a nice rock that made a great cave for him. My brother then convinced me to add a crayfish to the tank. That's when the WAR began. These two would go at it fighting over the cave every single day. The pictus won every battle until the cray dug a tunnel behind the rock and chased him out from behind. It was really crazy to watch. Weird to hear about a larger pictus being bullied by the smaller shark.

Sharks are insesant bullies, size doesn't matter.

With RT and Rainbow sharks, I think a big factor is how/when the are introduced to the tank. Another factor is luck of the draw on what kind of personality it has.
I'm planning on adding a RTS to my tank in 3-4 months. I'm hoping this will give the newest additions time to establish themselves, but you never know.

Mine don't bother anything. Unless another pictus comes in it's territory which is just the log.

Back
Top Bottom