Rainbow sharks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mskay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I keep a rainbow shark in my freshwater community tank? I have mollies platys frogs and a pleco.

I had an albino rainbow shark with my pleco, mollies, barbs, and loaches. He was best buds with my yoyo loach and wasn't very aggressive. I lost him to ich, but he was an awesome fish

Can I keep a rainbow shark in my freshwater community tank? I have mollies platys frogs and a pleco.

Nope, rainbows do better in a 48" tank, they need the room to swim, and they get territorial. Mine put a school of tiger barbs (who thought they owned the tank) in their place.

Depends on the stocking and size of the tank.

Mines in with some serpae tetra at the moment and he chases them out of his corner but that's all, he's not causing any real trouble

Nope no rainbow sharks they get to big for a 33 gallon IMO they need a 48 inch tank minimum.

Yeah, no, would be a recipe for disaster

Ok. The pet store told me they only get 4 inches and only need at least a 29 gallon tank. Which I expected was at the very least slightly false. Hence me asking here lol. My son would be super excited for a shark. It wouldn't even be ok temporarily? I plan on soon upgrading to a 55 gallon tank.

Ok. The pet store told me they only get 4 inches and only need at least a 29 gallon tank. Which I expected was at the very least slightly false. Hence me asking here lol. My son would be super excited for a shark. It wouldn't even be ok temporarily? I plan on soon upgrading to a 55 gallon tank.

Depends how temporarily and also as long as you understand it could well go on a tank rampage with your stock.

Hmm soon however by the time I cycle it it's be a few months. Maybe I'll just wait

Just wait you will be much better off waiting and the pet store is giving you false info they get 6 inches can be aggressive and will need that 55 gallon.

I have a rainbow in my 120gal community tank. He gets along really well with everyone else. But I agree 33 is a little small for this kind of fish. Mine is about 9" now.

There are other 'sharks' that you could put in a smaller tank. Like a red tailed black shark. I don't know their exact Requirements but I am pretty sure they don't get as large as a rainbow shark. (I did not read through your stock list so I can't comment on how it will do with your current set up)

Back
Top Bottom