Rainbow Sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Sugarfree and...

:smilecolros: Welcome to AA!!!! :smilecolros:

We do have a calculator you can use for stocking plans. That said, sharks can get pretty big. If you are considering other fish for the tank, I would stop at two.

This shark gets to be about 5" big, and I know that I can't have more than 1 because they will fight. Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

a small school of rainbows or giant danios would be cool and they stay toward the top of the tank whereas most sharks tend to stay around the bottom. HTH!

Most mid to top dwelling fish should get along with it . From personal experience , fish to avoid include cories , siamese algae eaters , & kribs . Other fish to avoid would be red tailed black sharks , chinsese algae eaters , & flying foxes . I had some fire rasboras that my rainbow shark ignored . Just remember to include some spiralina tablets or flakes in its diet . Some sort of cave , like a pvc pipe , will make them feel more secure & may lead to less agression .

Difficulty to get and expense is all determined by your location and your LFS connections. Some people would consider my small town of 40,000 in North Dakota to be in 'the middle of nowhere' and yet albino rainbow sharks are readily available, tiny for around $3, and a little bit bigger for $6.

If your LFS doesn't have any, ask if he can order them in. Most LFS will be happy to order fish in for you. The larger their order is, the more they save on shipping.

Paul

I have always thought that Rainbow Sharks are very aggressive and will not tolerate most fish and definitely not recommended for a community tank?? Am I wrong?

Also, I know they can get up to 6 inches, but need a lot of room to swim, so I personally wouldn't get one for your 25 gallon.

The rainbow shark will be most agressive to anything it views as competition, i.e. bottom feeders (not including personal injury lawyers), but not as agressive toward upper and mid level fish. Rainbow sharks can reach 6 inches but they can also not reach 6 inches. I like Rubysoho's idea of a small school of rainbows (but it could get confusing :? ).

Rainbow sharks are somewhat unpredictable. They won't tolerate their same species, anything that looks like them, or anything shaped like them. Sometimes they won't tolerate anything else period, YMMV. Try some fish that stay very near the top, like rasporas, and if these don't survive it probably won't tolerate anything.

Albinos are pretty common where I live, I see them in every lfs. $3-$8 depending on size.

Back
Top Bottom