rainbowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

which rainbows?

• Boesemani Rainbow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Threadfin Rainbow

• Australian Rainbow

• Turquoise Rainbow

• Red Irian Rainbow(best looking IMO)

• Total voters

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
just wondering what type of rainbowfish would do well with...
scissortail rasboras
hatchetfish
corycats
apistos
platies
guppies
dojo loaches.

I know nothing about them and some info would be great. They would go into a 55gallon tank. TIA

Bosemani is your best bet. Australian, Turquoise, and red irian will get bigger (4"-5"+) and threadfins need to be species only or with very docile tankmates as they are common targets of fin-nippers. Praecox is a good fit also, and Millenium if you can find them.

I say bosemani too 'cause they are really cool looking as they mature. Not too impressive as juvis but once they mature the colors can get really intense.

Here's a pretty lousy pic of one of mine.

http://talloulou.smugmug.com/gallery/1083604

They're super easy to feed and seem hardy. I have a school of 5. 2 are really intensely colored but they are all beautiful. I think maybe the males have more intense coloration. Mine also eat like pigs.

I have 2 Australian rainbowfish as well and while they're nice and actually school with the Bosemani their colors just can't compete.

talloulou said:
I have 2 Australian rainbowfish as well and while they're nice and actually school with the Bosemani their colors just can't compete.

I have 3 Australian and 2 Bosmani. I may get one more Bosemani to round out the group. I agree the Bosemani have a better color scheme, but the Australians seem to flare and show off more. Of course that could be because the biggest one is the king of the tank and there is one less Bosemani in the group. :lol:

-Don T.

I love my turquoises, they are gorgeous, flash all the time, and get along with everyone in the tank. I have 10 of them but actually wish I had two smaller groups of different kinds, just for some variety. The regular Australians seen in the pet stores just don't have the color of the other, flashier species. Not sure what size tank you have but the turquoise, boesemani or Irian would all look great, if you can find nice fish....all the Irian rainbows I have seen at LFS's around here didn't look half as good as the pics I've seen online.

there is only one red irian rainbow at my LFS and i fell in love with it. I hope they will get more in if i go with them. I do also like turquoise(well, more the price, they are the cheapest). I can't decide now!

talloulou said:

I don't completely agree with that. Adult australian rainbows can have some incredible colors. Here is one of mine:
img_719017_0_521fa44613a5f8ac08aff2fcd0e5c25f.jpg

Boesemani's are very nice looking as well but many australian's have more of a quantity of colors.

Back
Top Bottom