Rainbowfish advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

875mill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Lately I have really been eyeing a couple different species of rainbow fish, and really want to a 55 gallon rainbow only tank. Question is how many rainbows should fit comfortably in a 55. I've read that rainbow are very active and need lots of swimming room, so I don't want to go by the standard 1" per gallon rule. I've never kept any rainbows my self so sure could use some advice from those who have.
TIA!

Well, I have 10 turquoise rainbows in my 55gal, but I've always leaned towards the high end of stocking compared to most folks on here. I also have some other fish in there, mostly the algae/cleanup crew, so BNs, SAEs and cories. They are active but mine like to school together and hang out in the current from the filter. They can move FAST, and are fun to watch at feeding time. My tank is heavily planted, to the point where I add nitrate, so I don't worry as much about my bioload.

Your capacity depend on the rainbows you choose. Thread-fins max out at 2" while Madagascar reach 6". Praecox, bosemani, and parva are a happy medium at around 3". 2 schools of six would be nice.

Well I'm thinking 6 Boesemani , 6 MelanotaeniaTrifasciata for sure, and if I had room I'd like to add 6 Melanotaenia dubulayi, or 6 Glossolepis multisquamatus.

Back
Top Bottom