Rainbowfish harrassing Angelfish [UPDATE] rainbow goes today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Based on what everyone said (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=97837) , I got a new angle fish this evening -- he is nice big fella and I thought he will soon settle in the tank.

However -- one (I am not sure if just one or all 3 of them -- I had seen one of the rainbows chase the other rainbows in a rather "friendly" way -- not sure if this is the same rainbow or not though) of my Australian rainbow fish has been nipping on the fins of the angel. The angel has been trying to avoid the rainbow fish but the rainbow is too quick for him. So he has resorted to a top corner of the tank currently. I have turned the lights off and all is peaceful, but I am worried once the lights are on again in the morning, the rainbow will be at it again. Stopping short of returning the rainbow to the pet store, is there anything I can do ? I am worried for the angel.

i've wondered if you can train fish not to attack other fish. I mean...if you see the culprit nipping can you put him into qt for a day or something and then return him and continue that until he stops?

Have you any caves for him to hide in if need be? Keep the lights off for now is a good idea. How big is the angelfish?

yes I have a few caves -- the angelfish is fairly big -- i would say 4.5-5 inches vertically.

[UPDATE]
I think I am going to return the offending rainbow to the pet store and watch the other 2 rainbows for behavior. Will just 2 rainbows be happy in the tank?

I took the offending rainbow fish to the pet store and all seems well now.

Also -- while I was in the petstore they said they could give me store credit for the rainbow -- and then .... I saw the bolivian rams were just for $3.00 -- so I got one more ram !! :)

Back
Top Bottom