Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation Rainbowfish schooling

I was under the impression that different types of rainbowfish would school together, however my turquoise and boesmani segregate. I have 2 boesmani and 1 turquoise and thought that would be fine until I could find more of each but they have separated. What should I do? There are turquoise available in the store now but no boesmani. i believe they are stressed because of some slight fin nipping between them. How can I stop the nipping? I've been told more numbers will calm them but there are no more boesmani available. I planned to get 3 of each for a total of 6 but if they won't school together than I guess the 6 rule can't apply to them but I don't know what to do.

Thanks

Old 01-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi rdruken,
I have not kept more than one species together, so I can't really comment much - I know that Australians and boesemanis can interbreed which makes me think they may school, but the greater difference in species, the less likely.
I had four boesemanis and still had some aggression issues. It's very important to have lots of hiding spaces and adequate swimming room. What size is your tank?
The six per group rule is typically applied to a single species.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

its a 60 gallon with some emerald eye tetras who are doing fine.

Tags
community, fin nipping, fish, happy, rainbowfish, school, schooling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com