Rainbowfish Species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiroptera

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, continuing on my search for a good medium/top swimmer for my upcoming 75-100 gallon, someone mentioned Rainbowfish. I had been looking at some Millenium Rainbows a few months previous, but I want to know more species worth looking at that are on the larger end up the scale (4-6 inches).

The only ones on these forums in the profiles are the Bosemani Rainbows, but I need something a little less vibrant? Going into a tank with all brown/black fish.

Any ideas?

:thanks:

Types I've found so far:
- Millenium Rainbows
millennium-rainbow.jpg

- Axelrodi Rainbows
Axelrodi%20(Lake%20Tebera)%20Rainbow.jpg

- Yellow Rainbows
rainbow_yellow_100830c6_w0480.jpg

I'm not sure in a 100 gallon you could get 2 different groups though and I would really try to get a 125 lime you mentioned you could get possibly.

I love my turquoise rainbows...... they're supposed to reach 4 inches or so, but mine aren't all that old so I haven't yet seen that potential.

I could. and a 125 wouldn't be too much harder than a 100 to keep clean, I'm just hesitant for now, because until I know where I'm going to be settled (I have a few places I'm starting to talk to) I'm not sure how much weight the floors can handle, and where the supports are, etc. Hell, I'd get a 200 gallon if I knew I could keep it safely, but for now I'm just not sure. I know 100 gallons are pretty safe weight-wise, for a ground-level house floor, but that's why I'm planning thing out loosely now. Once I get an OK on a place, I can up the gallon size any time. I just need a minimum to have as a set number, and I can always go up from there. And if the floors aren't too sturdy, I can even have extra support put in. These plans are just a minimum, safe zone.

Which Is why I'm not buying the tank or supplies until after the house.

Okay I see a 125 really isn't much heavier than a 100 but a 200 would be amazing lol

Okay I see a 125 really isn't much heavier than a 100 but a 200 would be amazing lol

Yeees. Plenty of room. I wouldn't add anything other than what I've planned though, so they'd have a ton of space.. Wouldn't the weekly water changes be horrible in a 200 gallon, though?

If you kept the stock level you want like let's say 14 rainbows, 1 brown knife, 2 eclipse catfish if you got sone great filters like large canisters you could do probably every 2 weeks or maybe monthly water change depending on nitrate level.

Alright. I'm thinking 10 rainbows, and a canister filter that will create a decent current for the cats and knife. Not sure if rainbows like that, if not I can always get a lesser strength, or change how the hoses are positioned.

Yah they come from rivers do they are kind of made for the current.

That works perfectly with the other two.

Also, which would be better.. a 125 regular, long, tall, or wide? My catfish/knives would enjoy the wide, but maybe not so much for the rainbows?

I can get any size/make of any tank custom ordered, and I know a great company who can build the canopy/stands for me for a decent price, so it's all on the table.

Chiroptera said:
That works perfectly with the other two.

Also, which would be better.. a 125 regular, long, tall, or wide? My catfish/knives would enjoy the wide, but maybe not so much for the rainbows?

I can get any size/make of any tank custom ordered, and I know a great company who can build the canopy/stands for me for a decent price, so it's all on the table.

Don't do tall ( like a column) less surface and less capacity.

Yeah. Doubt my cats would enjoy that.

I need the most surface area with still enough swimming room for the rainbow fish in the middle, so they're not crowded. I'm thinking either standard or wide.

This is a killies he's one of my favs and he's top water

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120608_163215.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120608_163215.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom