rainbows and cave tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacblades

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just got two rainbows (bosemani) from a garage sale and was wondering if i could put them with my blind cave tetras. there isnt much info on the tetras that ive ever seen so im not sure if they would be compatible. both species are peaceful so i am assuming i can put them together. can anyone give me any advice?[

Yep. They're peaceful, and similarly-sized when adult. I don't foresee any problems.

Jon

also- i was thinking about getting some plants for the tank. its quite bare. somone from another forum recommended wisteria. any other recs?
thanks!

What size tank we talking about? I'd like to see some pics of those blind cave tetras... I've never seen them. I tried your link and none of the pictures showed up for me. What kind of "cave" do you have for them?

Hygrophila Polysperma...you can even use the red leaved "rosana" version and it will grow FAST with moderate lighting (I have a little under 2wpg) and DIY CO2. It only took a month for it to go from a 6" plant to its current size of 24" long. The red leaf version needs lots of light to look red but will grow quite well and just look green without lots of light (but as it gets closer to the surface and the lightsource it begins to turn red). Java fern is another easy to grow plant that requires little light. Hornwort is another that grows like crazy...

The webpage did not work for me either (I had to highlight the words to read them since they were yellow on a white background). Clicking on an "image link" simply reloaded the page.

thats really weird. i dont know why my page is not showing up:( it is working on my computer. i dont have any pics of the tetras on there yet though. i dont have any sort of cave for them. they are just in a bare tank with glass beads on the bottom. they are such great fish! if i couldnt see that they dont have eyes, id swear they could see! i guess they have some sort of radar because they never bump into anyhting. their sense of smell is uncanny too. if they swim past food, they quickly turn around and swim around the area franticly until they find it. i have heard that they are schooling fish but i only have two (because when i saw them-that was all the store had). they dont seem to hang out together or anyhting :? thanks for the suggestions on the plants! the only place that has a good selection of plants is petsmart so i will check there for any of those. i believe they have java fern and hornwort. its been a while since ive been there (i try not to go because i always end up getting something or someone) :mrgreen:

ok its not showing up for me either. it was working yesterday and i havent made any changes since:(i think if you try to click the big picture at the bottom-the second page of pics will work.

blind

Yeah, the second page works for me... I figured since they were called cave tetras the might live in a cave... but then again, if you had a cave, you might not ever see them... That's why I asked about the cave... and because I make caves with coconut shells and sell them... If you haven't seen them in my gallery, check them out... I've sold a few to members here that said they would post pictures and I haven't seen any of theirs yet... I don't have any pictures of ones setup in a tank... perhaps I should try another pic of the one in my own tank... If you were interested in a cave for them there are a lot of options including some cheap options... when you get a chance you can put some pictures of your tank in your gallery or something... or in the show off photography section... decorating/designing, setting up a tank is fun and to some is like artwork...
Ilike hornwort also because it is soooo easy to grow... my fish tend to nibble on it too...

Back
Top Bottom