Raised bump on female swordtail's tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laird-and-Dad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all! Recently I noticed a white bump on my female sword. I thought that this might be an external parasite. Any ideas? Also, I haven't noticed this on any of the other fish. My water parameters are as follows:

• Ammo=0
• NitrItes=0
• NitrAtes=40 (I have had a bit of an issue with that lately, but pwcs have brought it down from 80)
• pH=8.2
• GH>300 (I know, the water where I am is super hard, but that's what the LFS keeps their tanks at)
• KH~120

Water change schedule:
Was every Wednesday 25%, but then my trAtes went through the roof so now I change 25% every 4 days.

Feeding schedule:
2x per day, alternate processed flake and pellet food, occasionally add freeze-dried bloodworms or brine shrimp.

Stock list:
-4 zebra danios
-7 southern platys
-1 Variatus Platy
-1female sword
-16 neons
-1 Oto*

-lots of anarachis
-1 anubias
-lots of ramshorn snails

*most recent addition (3 weeks ago)

Here are some pictures of the bump:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410216623.409959.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410216637.211655.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410216650.337911.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410216673.551286.jpg

I can't really tell if a growth or parasite (although it seems an odd spot). Could you pop her into QT, treat for parasites and the back?

My snakeskin gourami had two of them, one on her tail and one right near her mouth. Like yours, behavior didn't change at all. I also couldn't figure out what it was (growth or parasite) but decided to err on the side of caution and treat her with a few salt baths. It never spread to any other fish and went away after a week or so and hasn't appeared since.

Ok. I add salt to my tank water anyway, and I will put a little bit more than usual in when I do my pwc today. Would that be okay? Or should I put her in the 1.5? What temp should I keep the tank at? The water is at 80 F without a heater. Is that okay? Thanks for all your help!

I have Cory's so I didn't add add salt to the tank. Gave her an actual bath in separate 5 gallon bucket for 25 minutes. Not even sure if it helped or if the bump went away on it's own regardless of the salt. But wanted to err on the parasite possibility side.

Ok. I add salt to my tank water anyway, and I will put a little bit more than usual in when I do my pwc today. Would that be okay? Or should I put her in the 1.5? What temp should I keep the tank at? The water is at 80 F without a heater. Is that okay? Thanks for all your help!

I'd still do in QT so if she doesn't like the extra salt or meds she can go back. Temp sounds fine. What salt level are you dosing at moment?

You probably mentioned it before, but what is the tank size? Did the other fish give birth yet?

Edit: don't want to alarm you, is it possible she is pregnant as well? One of my platys got two odd bumps that I QT her for and treated, then she gave birth and they went away. Remember, female live bearers can store sperm and may have been impregnated at the store.

The tank is 23 gal. I may or may not be able to QT. The bump seems to be going away on its own, and I have a severely stressed fish that I may need to QT. I currently dose the recommended amount of salt, 1 rounded tablespoon per 5 gal, so I put in 4 tbsp.

Edit-I guess it is possible that she is pregnant. Although I got her over 2 months ago, I have a male southern Platy and a male Variatus Platy in the tank, and my understanding was that the different Xiphophorus species could interbreed. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out.

Back
Top Bottom