raised salinity, too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorcat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I raised my brabkckish tank's salinity to 1.010, but it dropped to 1.007. Three days later my pleco, zebra danios died. All the others lived. Mollies, Rosy barbs, Hatchet fish, Red eyed tetras cory cat(the one i figure would not like the new salinity, but did) and my upside down cat. I think the others were not competitive enough for food and they needed more to eat in the new salinity, but the wife thinks the salinity was too much. However I ve kept tanks more saline than this on but different variety bfore. I am perplexed. I need to know the limits of these guys. Im just tempted to go marine, because the mollies are my favorites and will adapt, and give the others to my wife's tank. I however like this setup and merely wanted to add some variety by adding a goby, or trying to convert damsels.(i heard rumour from an old friend that he converted some to 1.04 salinity before, but i lost contact when i moved. He also mentioned a breed of clowns or was it dominoes? well, i want to do something unusual to say the least. that is that, and i need some help in my insanity. thanks

i was stumped when i read your original post, because you just about made your tank brackish with some very not brackish fish. IMO it goes like this:
fw=fw
bw=fw or bw or sw
sw=sw
so i think those fish and others did and may die because they arent suited for salt.see for me fw holds great possibility of color in killifish and some other species, while sw like my nano reef holds vast color. i like the color. i cant see having a sw tank and even bothering to keeo mollies. but thats me
btw - guppies are salt tolerant, nd cool IMO just a thought

Back
Top Bottom