Raising brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
First the reason i need them, i am planing on breeding German Blue Rmas in my 20 gallon if i can ever find a stand :( . And i read taht the fry are to be fed brine shrimp. I would like to know how to go about doing this and also how many of them i would feed the fry a day or what ever amount of time.
TIA

They have hatching kits at all lfs. You can either get a full kit or the hatching solution and eggs and make your own hatchery. I don't know how much to feed them though.

There is a nice article on hatching brine shrimp in the latest Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine.

hatching brine shrimp is easy. the kits make it easier though coffee filters and a jug are all that is needed. check the above quoted tfh article for the best info.

thanks everyone, most likely going to do the DIY way. VEry happy because i jsut got my new tank set up!!

I would make a 2 liter hatcher. cheap easy and works ;)

also I would consider decapping before hatching the eggs.

The hatcher is made from two 2 liter bottles.

How to make the hatcher?? this site has a good layout of that.

http://aquariumhobbyist.com/endlerslivebearer/page4.htm

The solution to hatch them.

Mix

1 quart of dechlorinated water 80-82F
1 1/2 tablespoons Aquarium Salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

aireate for 10-15 minutes before using

Heres what I do to hatch.

I use a pint jar and fill it 1/2 with dechlorinated water 70-80F then stick an air hose and aireate the water for 10-15 minutes. I then put in about 1/2 teaspoon of eggs and rehydrate them for 1 hour and stir with hose every so often to knock eggs down off the sides.

The next step is up to you.

put the eggs in the hatching solution or decap them first.

If you want to decap them fill the rest of the jar up with 100% pure bleach. keep the aireation going and stir with hose. After about 5-6 minutes the eggs will all turn orange and sink then you need to rinse them off with running water 70-80F until the bleach smell is gone. Rinse them into the jar and add dechlorinator and aireate for a few minutes to make sure all the bleach is nuetralized. Now they are ready to be put in the hatcher and hatching solution.

Put a lamp about 4 inches from hatcher to keep the eggs warm and give them a light source which is needed to start the hatching.

Keep the aireation and light on the entire time you are hatching.

Its should take about 18-24 hours for them to hatch out. less time if they are decapped 12-16 hours.

then you turn off the air and let them settle for about 10-15 minutes.

drain the shrimp into a brine shrimp net or coffee filter.

rinse the shrimp with some tank water

I turn off the filters and aireation in the tank before feeding them.

thats about it pretty simple.

I've hatched tons of them in just a one gallon tupperware container, so I can tell you DONT do this! :lol: It was too difficult to seperate the shrimp from the eggs once hatched. Sheesh...what a mess that was. I would have to agree on the 2 Litre hatcher. I think you can also buy decapsulated eggs ready for hatching, although I have no experience with that. Im ready to try again myself so Im in the same boat.

If I had a 2 liter and coffee filters, could someone tell me the general gist of what to do next? I have eggs sitting here and don't know what to do with them. Also, what is decapping?

The hatcher is made from two 2 liter bottles.

How to make the hatcher?? this site has a good layout of that.

http://aquariumhobbyist.com/endlerslivebearer/page4.htm

The solution to hatch them.

Mix

1 quart of dechlorinated water 80-82F
1 1/2 tablespoons Aquarium Salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

aireate for 10-15 minutes before using

Heres what I do to hatch.

I use a pint jar and fill it 1/2 with dechlorinated water 70-80F then stick an air hose and aireate the water for 10-15 minutes. I then put in about 1/2 teaspoon of eggs and rehydrate them for 1 hour and stir with hose every so often to knock eggs down off the sides.

The next step is up to you.

put the eggs in the hatching solution or decap them first.

If you want to decap them fill the rest of the jar up with 100% pure bleach. keep the aireation going and stir with hose. After about 5-6 minutes the eggs will all turn orange and sink then you need to rinse them off with running water 70-80F until the bleach smell is gone. Rinse them into the jar and add dechlorinator and aireate for a few minutes to make sure all the bleach is nuetralized. Now they are ready to be put in the hatcher and hatching solution.

Put a lamp about 4 inches from hatcher to keep the eggs warm and give them a light source which is needed to start the hatching.

Keep the aireation and light on the entire time you are hatching.

Its should take about 18-24 hours for them to hatch out. less time if they are decapped 12-16 hours.

then you turn off the air and let them settle for about 10-15 minutes.

drain the shrimp into a brine shrimp net or coffee filter.

rinse the shrimp with some tank water

I turn off the filters and aireation in the tank before feeding them.

thats about it pretty simple. :)

Back
Top Bottom