Raising pH/kH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidatl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 90 gallon tank with discus, curviceps, cardinals, rummy nose, and cory cats. New fish often don't make it in the tank for even 24 hours.
The pH is very low, even for the above fish. It's right around 5. I tested the kH and it appears to be very low as well.
I want to add baking soda to the tank when I do the next water change but am not sure how much I can safely add without drastically affecting the pH or kH.
I saw a discussion here as to the benefits of baking soda versus coral chips.
Any advice?

Welcome to AA David!

I prefer the crushed coral over baking soda. It is a slow and natural approach to increasing the levels safely.

Crushed coral is the best way. It'll raise to a certain point and stop, I think pH of 7.6 or so. When it stops KH stops. Then it just maintains till it runs out, so you just need to watch it and not let it get low.

Baking soda will be removed with pwcs and will be a weekly added substance if not more often. Why make more work, as if we don't do enough testing. Also with the baking soda you can add to much, the CC you could add 10 lbs and its still only going to dissolve as fast as 1 tablespoon would.

As for crushed coral, I put a handful in my 75G in my XP3 filter. My initial kh was 60, but is now 100 and holding constant. Hasn't risen any since hitting 100. And that's just a small handful. As for the ph, hard to tell, as I use a ph controller with my CO2 setup, so I have it driven down to 6.3-6.5 now.

Thanks for all the advice. I will go with the crushed coral in the filter.

Each store varies. If they sell SW fish they most likely sell it. If not, try a smaller store.

Back
Top Bottom