Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2002, 05:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Raising pH levels....

Hey all,

I did a search of the site for raising of pH levels. I could not find any, but then I may not have been using the right search string, .

Anyways, I need to know how to raise my pH by at least .5. The reason for this is because I have a female N. Livingstoni. My current pH for all my tanks is between 7.2 and 7.5, I got myself a beautiful mail today and was told that the optimum pH for these fish is 9, 8O , I have done some further research after getting home and all the books and websites say, on average about 8, but between 7.5 and 8.5.

My question is moving the fish from pH 9 to pH 7.5 damaging to the poor guy? I have noticed since putting him in the tank that his swimming is not as fluid, he seems a bit off balance. Before i introduced him I did put some of the tank water into his bag to try and get him used to the sudden drop of pH. Raising the pH of my tank will not be detremental to my other fish as they are all cichlids, mainly American, but I do have two africans.

Here is the guy:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/libra...s/blfw0207.htm

Many thanks all.

Old 11-24-2002, 06:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Hey there Somethingfishy,

Depending on you decor, you may not want to do this and I don't even know if this is the right thing to do but I inadvertently raised my pH by introducing lace rock as decorations.

It is not bad because I am considering Dwarf Indian Puffers with some Dwarf Cichlids and they both like higher pH levels.

Just a thought.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Thanks targa,

My decor is very plain and simple. I have many rocks for caves and some driftwood, no plants as they always seem to tear the plants out . I mean I could add some extra decor but I would have to go and buy some as I don't have much lying around. Would plant pots help?
Old 11-24-2002, 08:12 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Another thing that I have heard is that by using a 50/50 mix of crushed coral with your gravel / sand will keep the pH up a little and adds buffering to the system.

This is a couple of sites you might want to check out.
http://www.vatoelvis.com/Home.html Cichlids
http://www.vatoelvis.com/MyRocks.html Texas Holey Rock
Quote:
Because limestone is soluble, meaning it will slowly dissolve (leach) over time, it can be a great addition to any African Rift Lake aquarium. The pH for these lakes are anywhere from 7.2 – 9.0. This is very alkaline for a freshwater aquarium, and almost as alkaline as saltwater setups. The limestone helps, in effect, to raise the pH of soft water by “donating” Calcium, Magnesium, and Carbonate. And if you already have “hard” water, limestone can be helpful in buffering, or keeping your water at a pH no lower than 7.6.
Hope this helps.

Tags
level, ph level, ph levels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com