Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Raising very low pH

The only survivors in my 29-gallon tank so far are two angels and a very tough pearl gourami. After bi-weekly water changes didn't seem to elevate the fish survival rate in my tank, I started monitoring my water quality. I have discovered our tap water has a pH of 6.2 or slightly less. We have extremely soft water. I have purchased some crushed shells and want to add to the charcoal in my whisper 30 filter bag to raise the pH and hopefully be able to add a few more fish. How much do I add in order to raise the pH safely for my angels? Is this the correct methodology? Should I upgrade my filter?

Old 07-18-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Check out this thread on raising pH:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...763&highlight=

I am not aware that charcoal will raise pH. I would add as much crushed shells to the filter bag as possible--the pH will not sky rocket up and will slowly go up.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Instead of trying to adjust your pH, which is a hard, drawn out and annoying proccess..

Why not just get some fish that are suitable for a low pH?

South American fish come to mind, such as Tetra's and dwarf pl*co's
Old 07-18-2004, 06:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Actually, the angels should be fine, as they are from a low pH area, but a pH that low? I think we need more info--what's the KH of the water?
Old 07-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have been testing with strips and the KH consistently falls between 0 and 40 ppm, with a coloration that appears to be much closer to 0 ppm. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

test kits with drops are usually more effective than the strips. I think the angels will be fine with that ph, and really, you don't need to raise it that much for the gourami... shoot for 6.6-6.8. The crushed coral should help, just use a little at a time.

welcome to AA!
Old 07-18-2004, 09:39 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Rams and cardinal tetras will thrive in your water, as well. I agree, rather than trying to manipulate water parameters you can keep fish that like the water you have (great start with the angels).

Having said that, using crushed coral in the filter is an easy way to buffer your water somewhat, but don't expect dramatic changes. Put as much as you can fit into the filter without packing it so tight that water has trouble flowing through. It usually lasts 3-4 months for me that way.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wouldnt discus owners die for water like that right out of the tap?

Tags
low ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com