Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ram in qt - calm or something wrong?

New bolivian ram in quarantine for about a week now. I haven't seen him eat at all. Swims in place most of the time, periodically turning or going to the other side of the tank. Quarantine tank mate (a male Platy) is very active and eats.

The first day he was in quarantine he was pretty active, testing the boundaries of the tank but now, nothing....I can't tell if he is just chilling out or something is wrong. Almost a week of not eating as far as I can tell.

Tank is 0-.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5-10 nitrates. 77-78 degrees.

Wondering if he would do better or be more active if I moved him to the main tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201009_154748.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	318311  

Old 10-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Only going to be able to address your general fish behavior. Do you use medication in your qt tank? Often, i see fish in one of my qt tanks hiding all the time, skittish when I approach and never see them eat. Then, when placed in the show tank, they become active, compete for food, and quit hiding so much. Even big fish. I recently went thru this exact behavior with an 8" Gold Saum

Old 10-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #3

Thanks. I decided against using meds preemptively instead keeping a close eye on them to see if anything becomes noticeable. I know there's a lot of disagreement on using preventive meds or not in a qt.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, it's def 2 camps. No meds is better for the fish in general unless it's sick. But anyway, I see the hiding and barely eating thing alot in my qt tanks. Seems like every time when they get out and around other fish their whole demeanor changes. I wouldn't worry about it
Old 10-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am concerned about the ammonia and nitrate parameters. Rams like ultra clean water. What is your cleaning like? Are there plants and substrate in the tank? Plants would help with the parameters. Even floating plants would be welcomed.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply. Ammonia is consistently 0 now. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of a mild nitrite spike, test every day at .25ppm.

I've cut back on feeding a bit and dosing with Prime every 2-3 days to detoxify the nitrite (if it works as it says it does). Also do 1-2 water changes every week, using Prime on the new water.

All five fish (3 platies, 1 swordtail, 1 bolivian) and 3 amano all seem to be doing well: eating, exploring, being bossed around by one of the platies (nothing bad).

No real plants unfortunately just a lot of fake ones. Gravel substrate that the Bolivian seems to enjoy picking through.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi

What kind of substrate is in the tank? If you are having problems with water nitrate live plants help out alot. Fake ones don't do anything. What kind of lighting are you using? If not strong I suggest floating plants. It seems to grow anywhere. If you can't find floating plants at your fish shop. Buy them on line. Some big box pet shop might have them.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #8

Normal aquarium gravel and LED lighting, nothing special. So far we aren't having a nitrate problem, just a fairly low-level nitrite spike (.25).

Tags
ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com