Ram question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
So while into the petstore yesterday for my dog I just couldn't resist my usual trip through the fish department. I was thrilled to notice they had a shipment of rams in and they were awesomely priced.

I got looking in the tank and was a bit surprised. They didn't look like any rams I've ever seen. I mean the body shape was more or less the same. They were a lot smaller than the ones they usually get in, I'm guessing younger most likely? These were an inch maybe.

The thing that threw me off though is that they were solid yellow. They were listed as "dwarf ram cichlids"

I'm wondering if the odd color could simply be because they are young, or maybe related to sex?? Or if they are a completely different species they have labeled wrong.

I've found this and it's probably the closest I can find to resembling the fish I saw. The white markings on the tale/dorsel fin may not have existed. I can't remember exactly but it def is the body shape and that vibrant all over yellow.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_10397162...id-aulonocara-aulonocara-sp-orchidea-red.html

My reading seems to point to this being a peacock cichlid. If that's the case how do they compare to the ram. Would it work ok in a 30 gallon community with an angel, platy and larger tetra? Could I keep 2?

that crossed my mind. I just thought that they usually have a fair amount of paleish white coloring on them. These were very vibrant yellow.

I'm hoping to get in tomorrow to look at them again, I didn't have much time so maybe I'm not remembering them correctly but I remember how vibrant they were and lacked markings like most ram

Hi not related to the above sorry but was wondering can anyone tell me why my tank is going a cloudy green? I have a 250ltr tank with around 37 fish . I have an air pump and an internal and external filter also only feed the fish once a day.i t5 lighting on for max 6hrs a day. My ph is around 6.5/7 , any suggestions will be very helpfull my appreciated.

that crossed my mind. I just thought that they usually have a fair amount of paleish white coloring on them. These were very vibrant yellow.

I'm hoping to get in tomorrow to look at them again, I didn't have much time so maybe I'm not remembering them correctly but I remember how vibrant they were and lacked markings like most ram

I don't know.......my german gold ram was pretty vibrantly colored and didn't have too many markings.....

Hi not related to the above sorry but was wondering can anyone tell me why my tank is going a cloudy green? I have a 250ltr tank with around 37 fish . I have an air pump and an internal and external filter also only feed the fish once a day.i t5 lighting on for max 6hrs a day. My ph is around 6.5/7 , any suggestions will be very helpfull my appreciated.

I believe you are experiencing an algae bloom. I am not an expert on these so your best bet would be to start a thread of your own.

I got 2 pairs of gold rams from two different places and one pair was such a deep bright yellow it looked almost fake colored, the the second pair came in much paler yellow in comparison but after a couple weeks their color really exploded too. I've never had issues with my Golds but again they too need to go into mature tanks. To me they have never been any more or less touchy than regualar rams, and I've never had trouble keeping them. I think alot has to do where Ram stock comes from. Wild caught and fish from Asia tend to be very delicate. Europe and US raised stock is much hardier.

interesting. Good to know. Perhaps they really are gold rams. :) I will def be snatching up 2 if I can get in before they sell out.

hybrid angel ram? is there such thing? a book I have has a pic of it. sounds like what you're talking about. it sort of looks like parrot cichlid with gbr body. just gold. I dont know, but just throwing the name out to see if it might be.

Back
Top Bottom