Ram species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beglely

Aquarium Advice Freak
Quick question: the lfs that normally carries the german blue rams got in a group of what I thought were male german blue rams, but after observation I believe they are the long-finned german blue rams. Now im getting conflicting info on the web-are these just a variation of the german blue ram or are they a seperate species/subspecies?? And is there any problem mixing them? Thanks

They are a selectively bred variation.

Alright thats what I was wondering. So Im assuming there wouldnt be problems mixing them, although I have read they are generally a weaker strain. If I wanted to breed in the future though, would it be bad to crossbreed the standard and long-finned lines or okay?

No, it wouldn't be bad to cross them. Most (if not all) offspring would probably be back to regular fin variety though.

Well I prefer the regular fin variety to begin with, so this isnt a big deal for me. I prefer natural to selective breeding. I was just curious because I think ill start keeping rams with this group and see how things go. If losses go how they usually do then I have a feeling I might have to get a new group eventually anyway. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom