Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

rams and angels

So I am thinking of stocking a 36 gallon bow front with a pair of blue rams and two angels along with some cories and cardnial tetras. Would this set up work? Thanks.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will work only if the rams arnt a breeding pair. Get two females and they will get along fine.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. How can you tell the sexes of the rams?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

blue ram cichlid females will have the blue in their black spot and males will not. males are also bigger than females and males have bigger front dorsal fins.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legit Fish View Post
blue ram cichlid females will have the blue in their black spot and males will not. males are also bigger than females and males have bigger front dorsal fins.
That isn't an effective way of sexing, unless they're wild caught or one of the first generations. If it has a red belly, it's a female.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post

That isn't an effective way of sexing, unless they're wild caught or one of the first generations. If it has a red belly, it's a female.
+1!
Red bellies are the most effective way to tell, but some won't show it all the time.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The rams can be a pair and it can still work just fine. Just be sure to have plenty of plants, DW, and hiding places so if, and that is a big if, the rams decide to spawn they can have their own little territory. I've never had issues with my rams, even when spawning, in a community tank.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree, I've had Rams and they did well if the tank is big enough. I'm not sure with angels though. They are one nasty piece of fish flesh. (They are beautiful but I hate them and will never get another)
Old 08-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Currently I have 12 adult angels in my 220g with rams and no problems. I've kept for over 30 years and they are one of my favorite fish. Rams and angels do quite well together is the tank is large enough.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

You have far more patience than I do Rivercats. I've switched over to very tame gentle fish. I couldn't handle the fighting.

You can give better advice than I can. I only had them 2 years and then switched to Silver Dollars.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You just have to understand them. If you have a larger tank keeping 6 or more ensures aggression is more evenly spread out. Plus remember they are cichlids and each one tends to have it's own personality. Once they mature it can often times be large males that develop very aggressive attitudes. If you cull them out things tend to settle down. I started with 14 and by the time they reached about a year old 2 males got mean. So I culled them out and the remaining 12 have done great. Plus you need to understand when to add them to your stock and how to add other stock when angels are in the tank.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 125 gallon tank and I think I started with 5 angels I don't remember it could have been 4. They did well until they got large and then all hell broke loose. I switched to a different type of fish. I'm not cut out for angels.

I think that is something people have to think about. I read about all the people who set up semi-aggressive or aggressive tanks and I wonder if they know what is ahead of them.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If people did research before buying fish there would be a lot less problems in the long run. I started with a metal frame tank, I don't think it had a light (that was too long ago to remember), and a little plastic corner in tank filter that held floss and charcoal (that's what they called it back then). There was no way to do research unless you could find a book at the library. But today information is at the tip of your fingers which makes me wonder why people don't take advantage of it and do research (not saying all people are like that). I guess I started with angels so long ago I feel comfortable with them and know what to expect.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have you bred them?

I remember those tanks. I researched Angels, they didn't make it sound too hard. I just didn't like the fighting. They were beautiful
Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I did a little in the 80's but was also raising kids so I didn't have enough time to really get into it plus I was more interested in planted tanks. Usually once the pecking order is established they co-exist without too much aggression. I'm not saying they don't bluster at each other but that's about it. There's never any actual damage. But there are always some that are just plain mean but I've always found them to the be exception rather than the rule.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I must have had the evil spawn from hell because I had two that killed everything they could until I put them in isolation tanks.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com