Rams & Apistos in community tank.....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank: 60g with community fish (guppies, mollies, neons, swordtail, dwarf gouramis, cory cats).

The tank was upgraded from a 10g about 3 months ago (only quick mini cycle as old media used).

Water parameters all good (0 amm, 0 trites, very low trates, ph 7.4).

Issue: I really want to add a pair of Rams & Apistos (not sure what kind - depends what is available).

Questions:

1. I've read online, and AqAdvisor says Rams and Apistos in a community are ok......but curious if others have done it and have any experience or opinion on if it's ok?

2. The tank is only 3 months established (tho fully cycled) - is that an issue? If so how long should I wait?

3. I'm not a total noob - but not expert either so looking at the care level of difficult and wondering if as long as I do weekly water changes of 50% and am careful to match the water temperature do you think I would be ok with these fish? I know the label 'difficult' means they are sensitive but am assuming as long as water quality is good I'd be ok?

4. Any opinion on which I should add first?

5. If I get pairs any issue in community tank if they breed?

Any other considerations I'm not thinking to ask about???

Thanks!!

Sally

One pair will be fine, adding a second pair could be fine as long as there is sufficient bidding areas that the pairs can claim as theirs. During breeding they will be more aggressive but that's for not very long and generally don't go far from the nesting area. Stock can vary and thus some.rams will be more sensitive and will have harder time dealing with changes.

36993-albums8563-picture44457.jpg

my double orange with my ram. both male. no problems. in a 50 gal. community tank.

Please excuse my ignorance, but which fish is the one on the left side if the photo? Beautiful fish.

The one in the left is a german blue ram

Sent from my 801EM using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was also thinking adding them at the same time would be good because this would allow both to establish territory at the same time.

as everyone said the one on the left is the blue ram. i have an all male tank with 2 blue rams, 2 gold rams, 5 rainbows, 1 bolivian ram, serape tetras. x-ray tetras, bumblebee cat fish.

Any thoughts on what it takes to keep them happy? I am a but worried about the difficult to care for part. Will it be ok as long as the water quality is great? I change 50% weekly. Tank under stocked.

I personally think there should be no issue I currently have a pair of cockatoo apistos and a pair of double red kribs in my 70 gallon community with no issues. Other residents are a few rainbows, couple bristlenose plecos, some wood shrimp and 5 rasboras there has never been any issues

As for care I had rams but rehoused them into a species only tank trying to breed them, I found them antisocial and kept nipping at the smaller fish.

They are not necessary but they help a lot as both species like a lot of cover and are also sensitive to nitrates (which plants keep down). Let us know if you have any questions with live plants as there are many very easy plants that could do fine with very little maintenance.

Do you think 50% water change weekly will be enough to keep nitrates down?

And yes wld love advice on easy plants. Part of why I have not done it yet is I am useless with house plants so need some that don't need green fingers!

Do you think 50% water change weekly will be enough to keep nitrates down?

And yes wld love advice on easy plants. Part of why I have not done it yet is I am useless with house plants so need some that don't need green fingers!

50% is typically enough, but only water testing will tell you that as each tank is a little different.

The type of plants you can get will largely depend on what sort of lighting you have. If you have bulbs letting us know what type they are can help us, or if you have LEDs then the brand and such will help. With that said assuming you have low light there are a few plants considered more or less indestructible. The first is Java fern, which comes in many neat variations such as Java fern 'narrow leaf','Philippine','trident', etc, along with the normal type commonly found in any sort of LFS. The 'narrow leaf' and 'Philippine' are two personal favorites of mine -- try googling those to see some pretty neat uses for a very undemanding plant. The second plant is anubias, which also comes in a ton of different variations (http://www.aquariumplants.com/Anubias_s/26.htm). The variations are important because different leaf structures and sizes will help give your tank a little variety and scale. Both of these plants do not need any sort of special substrate as they are best tied to decor/driftwood where they will draw nutrients directly from the water stream. Other low light plants that may work depending on your lighting are Java moss, bolbitis, and crypts.

Here are pics of my 2 cockatoo apistos in my community tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398692094.616544.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398692130.354597.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398692161.611325.jpg

They don't cause any issues at all.
As the poster earlier said I don't think live plants are needed they really do enjoy them

50% is typically enough, but only water testing will tell you that as each tank is a little different.

The type of plants you can get will largely depend on what sort of lighting you have. If you have bulbs letting us know what type they are can help us, or if you have LEDs then the brand and such will help. With that said assuming you have low light there are a few plants considered more or less indestructible. The first is Java fern, which comes in many neat variations such as Java fern 'narrow leaf','Philippine','trident', etc, along with the normal type commonly found in any sort of LFS. The 'narrow leaf' and 'Philippine' are two personal favorites of mine -- try googling those to see some pretty neat uses for a very undemanding plant. The second plant is anubias, which also comes in a ton of different variations (Anubias). The variations are important because different leaf structures and sizes will help give your tank a little variety and scale. Both of these plants do not need any sort of special substrate as they are best tied to decor/driftwood where they will draw nutrients directly from the water stream. Other low light plants that may work depending on your lighting are Java moss, bolbitis, and crypts.

I have no clue what lighting I have I'm afraid! I bought the Marineland 60g ensemble a few months back - I have whatever came with that. But thanks, I will look into those plants you suggested. If they are indestructible I guess I will just give them a go. Would I need co2 and ferts with them?

Back
Top Bottom