Rams tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone! I have 2 GBRs, 2 gold and 2 bolivian rams and 20 neons. Is it possible to add a male betta? Would they all get along? Oh, its a 55 gallon tank.

kelbaker79 said:
Hey everyone! I have 2 GBRs, 2 gold and 2 bolivian rams and 20 neons. Is it possible to add a male betta? Would they all get along? Oh, its a 55 gallon tank.

I wouldn't... The rams will get pretty aggressive if they breed. What are the dimensions of the tank? And what size are the rams

maxwellag said:
I wouldn't... The rams will get pretty aggressive if they breed. What are the dimensions of the tank? And what size are the rams

Yea, that's what I wasn't sure about. These are my first Rams, I've never even seen them before in person until I got them, they're rare in my area.

It's a 55g/210l...4 ft x 12 in x 18 in.

They are small still, maybe an inch? One of the Bolivians is larger than the others, about 1.5-2 inches

No it wouldn't work. I tried adding a Betta with one Bolivian. The Betta went nuts and starting fighting. Either one will kill the other, sorry. And that sounds a little overstocked :eek:

No it wouldn't work. I tried adding a Betta with one Bolivian. The Betta went nuts and starting fighting. Either one will kill the other, sorry. And that sounds a little overstocked :eek:

Every betta has a different personality. You can't say that it won't work ased on your own single experience.

QuietPlotter said:

6 rams and 20 neons in a 55 gallon is overstocked??

And ok, I won't put the betraying in there then :)

maxwellag said:
Every betta has a different personality. You can't say that it won't work ased on your own single experience.

Hmmm...what would you suggest? The only reason I'm asking is because I rescued this little betta from a friend who has him in a 1 gallon with no filtration, heater, etc. I have 12 tanks up and running but they are all African Cichlid tanks except for this one 55, so wasn't sure if it would work or not? Just don't want anyone to get hurt :)

kelbaker79 said:
Hmmm...what would you suggest? The only reason I'm asking is because I rescued this little betta from a friend who has him in a 1 gallon with no filtration, heater, etc. I have 12 tanks up and running but they are all African Cichlid tanks except for this one 55, so wasn't sure if it would work or not? Just don't want anyone to get hurt :)

You could try it, but if the rams breed you might have problems. Just watch them closely.

Why don't you try a tank divider. Give the betta maybe a 10" swimming space. I'm guessing your 55 is 48" long.

reefdiver said:
Why don't you try a tank divider. Give the betta maybe a 10" swimming space. I'm guessing your 55 is 48" long.

Ahhhh! Yes, I could do that also, just have to go find one of them in my "fish closet" lol. And correct, 48"

Um hold on. Even if the betta is timid the ram will not appreciate another territorial brightly colored fish, I disagree Max.

Let alone more than 3 or 4 rams, any Betta won't make it. The ram is aggressive when breeding and bettas are territorial... Plus, an extremely small percentage of Bettas won't fight when put together, the Ram is intimidating , colorful, and roughly the same size as a Betta. If the ram does not go after the betta it will be the other way around.

During feeding time rams nip slightly at other fish when they get too close. If it nips a Betta's tail the betta can develop fin rot and other infections, even ich from stress, and if you are not prepared, say goodbye to the tank.

If it doesn't get infected it will lose its fins fairly quickly.

I do not think a betta is compatible and it IMO would not be happy and would be stressed and possibly killed in a tank with rams.

QP

I think if your willing to put a divider in the tank so the beta has it's own space it should be ok.

A divider might help, but if the rams breed it will be even more problematic... You might have keep the divider, you might want to move it over to the side to give the betta a small fraction of the tank, and the rams the rest.

Fishkeeper26 said:
Is this tank planted? Can you post a pic of it please

Yes, it is planted. Here is a photo, but this was before more plants were added, and before the neons also....

ForumRunner_20120101_161211.jpg

I think I'm just going to find a "good" tank for him!! I really do appreciate everyone's help, thank you tons!!

Back
Top Bottom