Rams with a Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJim

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can blue rams coexist with a male betta?

One of my LFSs just got some gorgeous blue rams. I'd like to know if I can put a pair of rams in a 40B with a betta.

I wouldn't normally advise it, but depending on the betta... maybe. We have a betta in with bolivians now and have had one with EBRs without problem. We also had one in with a gold ram which went pyscho one night and killed him. If you have a back up plan in mind, I'd go for it.

I would try it too. If your tank is heavily planted, I think the ram pair might even have the advantage. I would just keep a close watch to make sure the rams don't breed without you knowing, that would lead to issues.

I bit the bullet and bought what I hope is a pair last night. I think I got the only female in the tank. I drip acclimated them for about an hour. They turned really dark. I didn't know they could change color so markedly.

I was on pins and needles when I added the rams to the tank. So far, so good. The betta has left them alone and they're eating flakes pretty well. I thought the betta might be antagonizing one of the rams, but he was just chasing food.

This morning I had to watch the tank for about fifteen minutes after I fed the fish before I could find both rams. The female found a nice spot in the corner. I found her after a minute or two. The male finally came drifting up from under the water sprite. Both fish were fairly pale, but I think it was because the lights had just come on. Maybe I'll try to get some pictures this evening.

Awesome, sounds like a colorful tank. I hope your betta stays sane and doesn't change his attitude. Rams do change color quickly, it is really surprising. Can't wait to see pictures!

Here's some shots of what I hope will be a breeding pair of rams.

img_1197426_0_dba57ca6a4c855d97157820a4b5727f5.jpg

img_1197426_1_d8b1937f13d8aeb727ae0e7715774da6.jpg

img_1197426_2_bec4a4c6a8c8c91343b42f7dbd58d2c0.jpg

img_1197426_3_3987d0874bd98396831f8b52c41be217.jpg

Please ignore the hair algae. Christmas put a dent in my CO2 and fertilizer budget.

Back
Top Bottom